Chapter 9.1 The mind boggles

When Matteo left the house, Sarah reached for the cell phone and dialed Paolo's mobile number.

He was excited and in good form when he recognized her voice.

"Paolo, I'm sorry kung tinawagan kita sa oras na ito ng gabi, pero pinuntahan ako ng Kuya mo dito sa bahay. Sinabi kong makikipagkalas na ako sa ating kasunduan."

"Ganun ba. My first heartbreak."

"Paolo..... puwede mo namang sabihin sa kanila ang totoo."

"I prefer to play the heartbroken ex-fiancé, thanks." He laughed.

Obviously, in no particular rush despite the lateness of the hour, he gave her a long description of the rock band that had played at his nightclub.

By the time they finished the call, fifteen minutes later, Sarah felt a heavy weight has been lifted.

Matteo was a mesmerizing man to be with and the forcefulness of his personality stayed long after the man himself had gone.

Her thoughts continued along this same path when she got into bed.

Other woman, more experienced women, might be able to handle a man like Matteo and enjoy the challenge, but he frightened her half to death.

"I'm doing you both a favor," he said gently. "Can you truthfully say that you would have been happy living with someone you had no feelings for?" were Matteo's last words to her.

She shut her eyes tightly in the warm darkness, her toes curling into the linen covers.

Commitment, marriage and men, it all meant disappointment and rejection.

*****

"Magandang umaga, Nanay." said Gabby happily.

"Magandang umaga din sa'yo, baby. Upo ka na, nakahanda na ang almusal."

"Wow! Ang aking mga paborito, corned beef at sinangag."

"Kumain ka ng marami ha."

"Salamat, Nanay."

Sarah made herself a cup of coffee. She sat down on the chair opposite the child. She was cradling the cup in her hands, and looked at Gabby carefully.

With a sad smile, she recalled the day she found Gabby abandoned on the side of the road when she was walking home from her mother's grave.

She guessed that Gabby's biological mother decided to dump the worthless little one.