Chapter 9.2 Ahead of time

Sarah's cell phone rang in the living room she had just left.

She hurried back, lifting the receiver and speaking calmly, fully expecting it to be Paolo telling her he had reached home safely after the emotion of the day.

It wasn't Paolo.

"Miss Geronimo?" The deep dark voice was unmistakable. "This is Matteo."

"Ako.....Ano.....? Oo, Mr. Guidicelli?" Oh, Sarah, for goodness sake, kumalma ka, she thought as she heard her faltering voice.

She sat down suddenly on the little sofa, her legs turning to jelly.

"I would like to see you in my office tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock sharp," he said smoothly.

He was the original workaholic according to Paolo. Proud and untouchable, his reputation was built purely by his own efforts and nothing to do with his family legacy.

"Miss Geronimo? Nandiyan ka pa ba?"

Sarah realized she was sitting in a kind of dream and jerked to life with the voice in her ear. "Oo, oo. I honestly don't think there is any point, Mr. Guidicelli. Hindi ako magtatrabaho para sa iyo." Her voice was firm but she was still glad she was sitting down.

"I'm fully prepared to pay you five times your present salary plus benefits."

Amazing! A wealthy, powerful man wanted her, under qualified, to be his personal assistant and was willing to pay very well for it.

"Nakakatukso....."

"In that case you will see me tomorrow," he said coolly.

"Pero....."

"That's settled, then. Eight it is." And the phone went dead.

She stared at it for a full minute before she slowly placed the phone on the small table. But even then, she made no effort to stand.

He wants me to work for him? Matteo Guidicelli? Wants me to be his personal assistant?

She couldn't. She just couldn't.

*****

By five thirty in the morning, she was panicking badly.

By six, she had a shower.

What did one wear when going to the office of a megalomaniac?

She asked herself as she surveyed her clothes.