Chapter 12.2 A black mark

Sarah was hardly aware when the music finished. She could have gone on dancing like this all night.

It was only when Matteo pulled away from her that she realized that the orchestra was now playing a much faster number and that most of the couples had swung into a more energetic dance.

"Shall we sit down?" he asked, a small smile playing around the corners of his mouth.

She nodded her head slowly.

They were standing at least half an hour before they had even reached their chair. Not only had their hostess detained them, but half a dozen other people. Mostly they wanted to talk to Matteo.

Sarah noticed how respected he was.

How people hung on his every word. How they were quick to shower him with invitations to dinner parties and luncheons.

She also noticed how skillfully he turned down the requests for his company.

Sarah was surprised when she was included in conversations. That her opinions seemed to be taken seriously.

Nobody's eyes glazed over when she spoke. Nobody mocked, snorted, laughed, or looked at her as if she was stupid.

Around ten o'clock, when Matteo was caught up in a friendly business debate, Sarah excused herself to use the ladies room.

She was almost in front of the restroom when Sarah literally bumped into Liza.

The beautiful woman in the lobby of the Raffles Hotel who dropped her handkerchief that got Matteo's attention.

She was extremely attractive in the floating silk dress. She had long black hair, the perfect figure and the whitest smile Sarah had ever seen.

Liza flashed that amazing smile and tilted her head. "Isn't Matteo with you?" she asked Sarah curiously.

"Yes."

"Tell him, he's one lucky man to have you by his side. Excuse me." With those words, she left Sarah, who seemed surprised by the request.

Few more minutes passed, right next to the food, Sarah decided to sample the desserts. With a dessert plate in one hand, she moved along the smorgasbord at a leisurely pace.

"There you are," came a deep, male voice.

She turned to look at Matteo. Unfortunately, she had just popped a strawberry in her mouth. So she simply nodded.

"Food good?"

Holding out her plate, she swallowed. "Tikman mo ang chocolate cake na may starwberry sa ibabaw. Napakasarap. Moist and extremely chocolatey. You will never look at chocolate cakes the same way again once you have tried this."