Chapter 4 Knockout round 1.0

For Paolo's sake, Sarah had to be on her guard. She headed back towards the mansion. 

Paolo was still asleep. Sarah pushed him slightly until he rolled over and looked at her sleepily. 

"Hindi ka pwedeng matulog na lamang ng buong araw sa kama," she informed him.

Paolo smiled at her drowsily. "You sound like a wife."

"Paolo, 'wag ka ngang magbiro."

"Seryoso ako." He smiled. "Saan ka ba galing?"

"Sa pool."

"Hindi ka marunong  lumangoy."

"Alam ko, Paolo. Nasa tabi lang naman ako ng pool kasama ang Kuya mo. Sa tingin ko itong engagement business ay hindi magandang ideya."

That had him sitting up abruptly. Paolo had a selection of silk pajamas. It was his only clothing weakness. Today's color was deep blue and light brown. 

Sarah briefly wondered whether his brother had a similar taste in pajamas. She concluded that the man probably didn't sleep in any at all. He didn't strike her as a pajama wearing type. 

She immediately closed any follow-up to that line of thinking and focused on her partner, who was looking at her with a worried expression.

"Siyempre ito'y isang magandang ideya. You're not going to back out on me now, are you? Are you?"

"Hindi ko pinag-isipan ng mabuti," Sarah said uncertainly. "Nakikita ko naman kung bakit mo gusto ito, pero ngayon na nandito na ako, hindi ko gustong lokohin ang pamilya mo, lalo na ang iyong Ina. Mabubuti silang tao."

"Hindi natin sila niloloko," Paolo whispered urgently. "At ang dahilan kung bakit natin ginagawa ito ay dahil mabubuti silang tao. Please don't back out on me now, Sarah. Please."

She realized that part of his urgency for this engagement was to produce the girlfriend his mother had always wished him to have, to at least let her see that her son now had the promise of stability within his reach.

"At isa pa," she said uneasily. "Nagdududa ang kapatid mo."

"Ano?"

"Well, sa tingin niya pera lang ang habol ko sa 'yo."

Paolo grinned at that. "Well, okay lang. He's way off target, then."