Chapter 5 Scare out of one's wits

"Sinabi mo na hindi ka nagdala ng swimsuit....."

"Tama."

"Which is something that we are about to change....."

She realized that Matteo had been striding along with a destination in mind. The destination turned out to be a swimsuit shop that show signs of expensive price tags and overzealous assistants.

Sarah turned to him. "Hindi ko kailangan ng swimsuit."

"Oh, pero sa tingin ko kailangan mo, dahil pupunta tayo sa beach and it's highly impractical for anyone to go to a beach fully dressed."

"Hindi ako pupunta sa beach!"

"Bakit hindi? Sinabi ko sa  kapatid ko that I would take you sightseeing and the beach are all part of the tourist experience."

"Hindi gugustuhin ni Paolo....." 

"Bakit hindi?"

"Dahil....."

"Sa tingin ba niya na maaaring gumawa ako ng kalokohan sa babae niya?"

"Hindi, hindi siya ganun. Ang bastos mo." 

Instead of answering, Matteo moved her to one side. He forced her against the wall and then bending over her. Sarah felt as though she was choking in his presence.

"Why don't we stop playing games?" His voice was calm. He leaned into the wall, blocking her completely on one side by resting his arm on the concrete by her head. "We both know what this so-called engagement is all about. I watched you with my brother and I've waited for you to prove me wrong, but nothing you have done or said has managed to convince me that you are not after my brother for his money."

"Nagkakamali ka," Sarah hesitated, white-faced. "Paano mo nasasabi 'yan?" 

"Pwede kong sabihin 'yan dahil hindi ako isang tanga."

"At si Paulo ay?"

"Si Paolo ay..... si Paolo. When most boys of fifteen where discovering the joys of testosterone, my brother was thinking of new ways to marinade beef. There is a part of him that lives in his own little world and an even bigger part of him that trusts other people. He places little value on money and somehow expects that the rest of the world feels the same way. I know better."