Chapter Five

The car pulled up in front of two rusty but fancy gates. They automatically opened, allowing the car to pass through. I stared out the window, looking at the large fountain that was placed in the front yard. I turned my head a bit to see a massive house, a mansion to be exact. I felt my jaw drop open in disbelief. Well, he is famous.

The driver parked the car and got out. He went around the car and opened the doors for each of us. Kim, Hailie, Whitney, and Lanie hopped out before me. Marshall stepped out of the passengers seat and helped me out. The girls were already ahead of us, walking into the house. Marshall and I walked in silence.

"Do you have any bags?" he asked, breaking the silence. I frowned, I didn't tell him yet.

"No," I said. He nodded.

"Hmm, alright. Well, how old are you again? I'm sure Hailie can let you borrow some clothes." he offered.

I smiled, "Seventeen. And thank you." Marshall nodded. Once we got near the house, he helped me hop up the front steps and into the house.

The house was beautiful. The walls were a cream color, with a very high ceiling. There was a red and beige carpet that lay on top of the bare wooden floors. Above the circular stair case, a chandelier hung.

"Like it?" he asked with a smile. He must've noticed me staring. I felt my cheeks flush light pink.

"Yeah," I whispered. "It's beautiful." Marshall chuckled, ruffling my hair.

"Thanks Leila. I think Hailie's upstairs, I can get her to show you her room." I nodded. I walked with my crutches to the staircase and, thinking he was going to just help me up, Marshall picked me up and carried me upstairs. He placed me down and handed me my crutches. I smiled gratefully.

"Hailie," he called. No answer. He rolled his eyes and walked to the room where there was music blasting. Marshall knocked loudly on the door with his fingers. "Hailie!"

"What?" The music suddenly turned off. I zoned out of their conversation and looked down the stairs. Whitney and Lanie sat on the ground playing. I smiled at their cuteness, they really were cute.

I focused my attention back on Marshall, who was now arguing with Hailie through the door. "Unlock the damn door!" he ordered.  The knob jiggled and a frustrated and bothered teenager stood in the door frame.

"What?" she repeated, her hands on her hips. Marshall exhaled deeply, trying to keep his calm. I never knew he had such anger issues.

"Please show Leila her room." Hailie looked at me and her face softened. She smiled.

"Oh of course!" she chirped. "Cmon, it's right down this hallway." She walked at my pace until we reached a cream door. Hailie opened the door and stepped back, allowing me to walk in.

"Thank you so much Hailie," I smiled. She grinned.

"It's no problem! Now you can get settled," she hushed her voice. "Do you want some fresh clothes?"

"Umm..." I hummed. "Yes please, I can't stand being in these ugly hospital clothes." Hailie nodded and scurried out of the room to fetch me clothes. I hopped my way onto the soft bed with the red duvet. A minute later, Hailie came in with armfuls of clothes.

"Here!" she said. Holy shit. All I meant was one outfit. "Where do you want them?"

"Um," I said, glancing around my new room for places to put the clothes. I pointed to a large dresser with four draws. "That's a good place, do you think?"

"Perfect," she smiled, dumping the clothes into the draws. "We'll separate and categorize them later, yeah?" I nodded. "Great! I'm so happy I'm not the only teen in the house anymore. It's hard living with just my mom and two seven and eight year olds. Let alone in a huge house like this." I cocked my head.

"So we live with just your mom?" I asked. She nodded. "Oh." I looked down and fumbled with my fingers. I could tell that Kim didn't really like the idea of taking me in. This ought to be awkward.

"But don't worry, I'm sure my dad is gonna stay for a while until you feel comfortable." A wave of relief washed over me. "And don't worry about my mom's attitude. She's just in a sour mood today. I think she's on her period." she snickered at what she said, and I have to admit, I did too. I really like Hailie.

"Plus, once she hears your story and what you've gone through, she'll become more understanding." I nodded.

"Speaking of story..." I spoke up, "When should I tell them?"

Hailie itched her blond hair for a minute in thought. "Soon, they really need to find out, Leila. Not just because they need to, but for your safety." I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Didn't you say your mom would look for you since you're gone?" Shit. I forgot all about that.

"Yeah," I answered. She nodded.

"Yeah, well since my dad is famous, there's the paparazzi. They take pictures of him whenever he's out. And if you are out with him, you'll most likely be getting your picture taken without you even knowing." I stared in disbelief. "Yeah, it's unbelievable. They get you in the worst position, you could be sneezing, coughing, anything like that. Whatever it is, it's going on the front of many magazine articles and websites. It's horrible and embarrassing, really." I nodded, understanding. "But it's completely  unsafe for you, being your mom could find out where you are by just looking at the picture and it's caption."

"Ugh," I groaned. I flew back onto the bed, putting my hands behind my head. "What do we do now?" I asked, staring at the popcorn patterned ceiling.

"Tell them," she replied. I covered my face with my hands.

"It's gonna be so hard." I complained. Hailie sighed and sat on the bed next to me. She lied down.

"Obviously. Here, I'll help you. How's this, I'll tell them the basics, but when my mom and dad confront you, you're on your own." I nodded. With that, she got up from the bed and walked out of the room.

Shit.