Chapter Twenty-Three

hey guys quick authors note please please please read the authors note at the end please its important!!!!! enjoy the last chapter everyone :)

-----------------------------

"How's your back?" I asked Marshall when he walked through the front door. He had just gone to get his wounds cleaned up, and he told me about a large burn on his back that was really painful.

"Better now," he said, kicking his boots off. "They put a bandage across my torso, so you might have to lay off on the hugs for now." he teased.

I rolled my eyes playfully which caused him to chuckle. Marshall followed me into the kitchen where Hailie was sat eating the same pizza from when Marshall went missing.

"Don't you think that's a little old?" I asked, scrunching up my nose. Hailie waved me off, ignoring my comment.

"I believe I promised you girls answers last night, didn't I?" Marshall said, opening the fridge. I nearly jumped out of my chair. He chuckled. "alright, ask away."

"Why didn't you yell when my father took you away?"

"He would have killed me if I did."

"What phone did you call me from?"

"They accidentally left their house phone in the room they held me in."

"What room?" I grew anxious. I had a feeling they would keep him in my old room, but I found myself hoping they didn't. There's no doubt that there would be blood on the wooden floor -- my blood. It's a horrible room to stay in even for a few nights.

"Yours." Marshall looked down at his water bottle. Of course.

I grew quiet. "I'm sorry you had to see it." I muttered.

"So, what happens now?" Hailie spoke up. I was thankful she changed the subject. "I mean, what happened to her parents?"

He took a breath. "Death sentence,"

"What?!" I gasped. I don't know why I was surprised, I should be happy. I hate my parents, no doubt I do, but death sentence?

"S-sorry, I shouldn't have --"

I cut him off, "No, it's fine... just, wow. Death sentence." I repeated.

"They deserve it, Leila, you know they do."

"Did you tell them about the abusing?" I asked him and he nodded. That explains why they would get death sentence. There was no way my parents would get death sentence for kidnapping someone for a good three days. It makes much more sense if the police know about what they did to me as well.

 "That explains it." I muttered.

He sighed.

"Is that all for the questions?"

It wasn't all, I wanted to ask him so many more questions, but I felt like they would be too emotional to talk about.

"Yeah." I lied. Hailie agreed with me, dismissing herself to her room. Now, it was just Marshall and I sitting in the kitchen in silence.

"At least you won't have to deal with them anymore," Marshall attempted to lighten the mood with a cracked smile. I shrugged, letting a sly smile pass my lips.

He frowned. "Cheer up, Leila," he walked over to me and threw an arm around my shoulder, nudging me into him. I sighed into the side hug. "Aren't you happy I'm back?"

I turned from him with bewildered eyes. "Of course I am, it's just weird."

"Weird?" he asked, knitting his eyebrows together. "What do you mean?"