Epilouge

*THREE MONTHS LATER*

It was just Marshall and I. Hailie and the girls were at school. I was going to go, but Marshall wanted to put me straight into college. He thought it would be a waste to put me in high school years when I can just go to college. I don't know.

We were sat at the table, deck of cards spread out equally between us.

I flipped my card down and frowned. "Damn!" My frustration caused a laugh out of Marshall as he swept my card and his card into the pile. We were playing War, and he was beating me by far.

"You're really bad at this," he chuckled as he took the win again. I rolled my eyes, throwing down the card I've been waiting to get.

"Finally!" I cheered as I took his cards into my pile. Marshall pouted his lip as I smiled victoriously, shuffling my cards together. We played for another ten minutes before Marshall and I got bored of it.

"What time will Lanie and Whitney be home?" I asked as we plopped onto the couch.

He turned the TV on. "Four. We still have two hours." He looked through the cabinet beside the couch, searching for a movie. "Lion King?" Marshall offered. I expected him to say he was joking, but when he didn't I couldn't help the giggle pass my lips.

"What?" he asked in annoyance, a small smile playing on his face.

"Are you sure you're 41?" I teased, taking the movie from his hands and pushing it into the DVD player.

He shrugged. "Are you sure you're 17?" he shot back. I sent him a glare which ended up to be a grin.

"Touche."  I sat next to him on the couch, leaving a good few inches in between us. We sat in silence as Lion King played, but it didn't stop my thoughts swarming my head.

I felt so lucky to be in this... this family. This humorous, loving, fucked up family. But hey, as fucked up as it is, it meant the world to me. If it wasn't for that dreadful day, I wouldn't be here right now. I'd probably be buried six feet under the ground from being hit by a car or shot in the streets. I never imagined that my once dreadful life would lead up to something so positive and happy.

I smiled to myself, looking at Marshall. He was focused on the movie, his lip taken between his teeth in concentration. I looked back towards the television.

This sounds so messed up but thank goodness Lanie ran right in front of that truck. To this day I could not believe that I actually ran and pushed her from it. I always ignored Marshall when he would say I deserve a medal for it but to come to think of it, I do deserve a medal. I'm a damn lifesaver, and so is Marshall, Lanie, Whitney, Hailie, and even Kim.

"I really want to take you to the studio one day." Marshall said, breaking me out of my thoughts. "I think you'd like it."

"I think I'd like it too," I admitted. A few seconds of silence passed. "Wait, but can you seriously take me to the studio? I've always wanted to try one of those sound mixers."

He let out a laugh. "You mean scratch board?" he asked with an amused expression on his face. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever," I grinned.

More silence.

"Sound mixers?" he laughed even harder. "That's not even close to a scratch board, Leila."

"Shut up!" I groaned, covering my face with my hands. "I'm only seventeen and you're what, 45?"

"I'm 41!" Marshall exclaimed, making me laugh even harder into my hands. After a few more minutes of constant bantering, a knock came from the door.