Chapter Twenty-Two

Hailie and I were sat in the living room watching reruns of Family Guy. It's been three days since we last heard from the police, and five days since we last heard from Marshall or my parents.

I haven't heard whether Marshall was alive or dead.

My mother's threats have not left my mind since the phone call. The police was bound to find my parents' house -- there's no doubt about that. I had so many questions but none of them could be answered.

I know I should give the police my old address. It would make things a lot easier and quicker, but I didn't want Marshall to be killed if he hasn't been already. I've prayed every night with Hailie that he would be okay in the end, but with my mother and father involved with the situation, nothing could be promised.

It wasn't until that afternoon when the phone finally rang and it was someone other than Kim for once. My breath hitched in my throat and I eyed Hailie, who looked just as scared as I did.

"H-Hello?"

"Ms. Monroe, is it?"

"Yes, speaking?"

"This is the New York Police Department, we have information regarding the abduction of, uh, Mr. Mathers."

My heartbeat accelerated. "Yes!" I cheered aloud. I cleared my throat, "I mean, uh, yes of course."

I heard the officer inhale. "We've had a few words on the investigation." he spoke coolly. "We have, indeed, found the male and female holding Mr. Mathers captive."

I held in the screams of joy when he spoke the words I've been longing to hear. Turning to Hailie, I gave her a thumbs up. She smiled eagerly.

"Thank goodness!" I sighed of relief. "Thank you so much, you don't know how much this --"

"However, Mr. Mathers has suffered serious injuries from the two individuals."

"How serious?" I asked hurriedly, my smile immediately fading.

"He has a few 3rd degree burns as well as open-skin wounds," the officer explained. "Nothing extremely serious,"

"Okay" I breathed. "So, can he come home now?"

"We'll have Mr. Mathers with you as soon as possible."

"What about the people that kept him hostage?" I asked daringly.

He sighed. "I'm afraid I can't share that information with you, Ms. Monroe. All I could tell you is that there will be a punishment."

"Thank you very much, sir." I said politely. I couldn't help the smile that was plastered on my face. Although Marshall was injured a bit, I was still excited to see him.

"My pleasure, Miss." We exchanged goodbyes before I hung up. Instantly, Hailie clung herself to me and I hugged her back tightly. We were finally over this and everything would go back to normal. I guess Lanie and Whit found Hailie and I in an embrace, because I felt two little pairs of arms wrap around my legs and tiny giggles emerge from under me.

"Is Daddy finally coming home?" Lanie squeaked. Hope was etched in her blue eyes.

I smiled down at her through glossy eyes. "Daddy is finally coming home." I repeated. I laughed when she held up her arms in victory along with Whitney smiling tightly.

"I still can't believe this happened." Hailie admitted once Lanie and Whitney left the room. I nodded, the stupid smile still glued on my face.

"I'm just so thankful he's alive. I thought for sure my parents would have killed him." Hailie's face dropped and I knew I hit a nerve. "I didn't mean it like that." I stammered.