Chapter Seventeen

did you guys hear MMLP2? oh my god i cant stop listening to it. my favorite song is Stronger Than I Was, what about you guys? I'm crazy obsessed with it :D

-------------------------------

Today Marshall was going to the studio to finally finish his new song. I'm a little nervous to hear it, being it's about Kim. I can't help but feel the excitement in my stomach walking down the stairs in the morning.

"Leila!" Lanie shrieked, attaching herself to my leg. I laughed, managing to drag Lanie on my leg through the kitchen to where Marshall sat.

"Hey," I said quietly. Lanie quickly detached herself before running into the living room wildly. I smiled, shaking my head. That girl, I swear. Marshall looked up from his phone, shooting me a warm grin.

"Hey," he replied. He hastily shoved his phone into his front pocket before placing his hands on the table in front of me. "How'd you sleep?"

"Good."

"That's good." I nodded slowly. "You get to hear my song today." Marshall said excitedly, clasping his hands together.

A smile formed on my lips. "I can't wait." I said honestly. He bit his bottom lip slowly in thought.

"You okay?" I asked worriedly. He furrowed his eyebrows, a nervous look coming over his face. "Did I say the wrong thing?"

"No, no you're fine." Marshall said hurriedly. "It's just.. I don't know how you're going to take it."

"What do you mean?"

He chewed on his lip some more. "It's very.. hateful. Violent." My lips formed an 'O' as I could only imagine what that could be like.

I drummed my fingers against the counter top before a plate of hot pancakes were placed in front of me.

-

"I'm home!" Marshall called. I let out a squeal, running quickly towards the door to greet him like I usually do. When my eyes fixed on the small CD he was holding, my stomach jumped.

"Yes!" I cheered, grabbing the CD in my hands. Marshall chuckled, managing to fastly walk after me. Lanie and Whitney had already been asleep, thankfully, so I could listen to the song without open ears. I slid open the CD player and carefully placed it in, admiring the blank cover of it dumbfounded before sliding the player back in.

Before I could hit play, Marshall placed a hand around mine. He let out a breath. "I don't want you to hate me for this. It's.. it's very..."

I cut in. "No, I certainly won't hate you. You know that." I reassure him but he bites his lip, clearly uncertain.

"I don't know, Leila.. It's very, like, nasty." he spoke slowly. I gave him a genuine smile and reassured him once again I'll be fine. He let my hand go and I hit play quickly, anxiously waiting for the song I've been longing to hear finally play.

When the music started, it confused me. Marshall was talking to one of his children, I'm guessing Hailie, when she was younger. My eyes widened when Marshall suddenly screamed at Kim, causing a worried glance on Marshall's face.

"Don't make me wake this baby

She don't need to see what I'm about to do

Quit crying bitch, why do you always make me shout at you?

How could you?

Just leave me and love him out the blue

Oh, what's a matter Kim?

Am I too loud for you?

Too bad bitch, your gonna finally hear me out this time

At first, I'm like all right

You wanna throw me out? That's fine!

But not for him to take my place, are you out you're mind?

This couch, this TV, this whole house is mine!

How could you let him sleep in our bed?

Look at Kim

Look at your husband now!

I said look at him!

He ain't so hot now is he?

Little punk!

Shut the fuck up!

You think I give a fuck!

Come on we're going for a ride bitch

Sit up front

We'll be right back

Well I will you'll be in the trunk"

 My heart was pounding as the verse ended. I blinked back the tears in my eyes, not the tears of anger or sadness. The tears of sorrow. I had no idea this event hurt Marshall so bad, so bad to the point where he had to create a vicious song about it. My heart sunk when the chorus played.

When the song finally finished, I was speechless. I turned to Marshall and tackled him into an embrace, letting my tears finally escape. I could tell he was confused when he wrapped his arms around my back slowly. I sobbed into his shoulder, my heart breaking for this man.

"Leila?" he whispered. I pulled away from him, hastily wiping my tears away with the back of my hand. I sniffed up, forcing a smile onto my face. "Are you mad?"

I choked out a laugh, bringing my fingers up to wipe my tears again. "No, I'm not mad." I said with a grin. I shook my head, my smile disappearing. "I am so, so sorry Marshall."

He looked at me with sad eyes. Running a hand through his buzzed hair, he forced a small smile on his lips. "Don't be, it's okay." I shook my head again, another tear rolling down my cheek.

"No.. no it's not okay. She broke you, Marshall. You didn't have to show it. You just said it in that song. She was so, so wrong to do that to you." I told him.

"I know, but I-"

"No, you don't know!" I almost yelled, my hands shaking in my lap. "She screwed you over, Marshall. Do not blame yourself for something you didn't do!"

"It's my fault I didn't treat her the best I could. I tried, but it wasn't good enough."

"Shut up!" I screamed in frustration. Marshall widened his eyes but let me lecture him. "Just stop! It pisses me off when you blame yourself for this, Marshall! You treated her the best you could and always put her first. Always! It's not your fault for your busy schedule, you know that!"

"I could have prevented it." he said quietly.

I sighed, calming myself down in the seconds of silence. Before I could yell at him some more, he stood up and walked away ashamedly, leaving me sitting criss-cross in the living room, alone.