Chapter Six

"That was actually good, Mommy," Lanie piped from her seat, like she's never had anything good to eat. Kim rolled her eyes.

"Sorry I'm not a good cook like your father." she snapped, collecting the plates. We just had a really good meal of chicken and apple sauce. It was actually real food, which I wasn't used to.

Marshall cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "Erm, Leila, let's go up to your room and get things sorted out, yeah?"

"Okay." I replied, standing up from my seat. I grabbed my crutches and Marshall insisted on carrying me upstairs to my room. He set me down on my bed.

"Leila," he breathed. He looked down and he looked uneasy. Marshall sighed and looked up at me. "Please, just tell me what's been going on." I cocked my eyebrow in confusion. "I know that you don't have a home or parents or anything for a reason. Just tell me why, please Leila." I sighed. Well, this happened sooner then I thought.

"Well..." I started, looking down at my fingers. "It all started fourteen years ago..."

--

"And that's why I don't have anything." After a large discussion of what I've been keeping from him for a while, tears stung my eyes. I blinked them back though, there was no way I was crying in front of Marshall. I looked up from my not-so-interesting hands and looked at him. A tear trickled down his face.

He sniffed up. "Sorry, I'm just a bit sensitive," he chuckled and wiped the tear away. I smiled.

"Sorry."

He shook his head. "Ah, no need to be sorry. I am sorry. You didn't deserve, you know, any of that..." he trailed off. I nodded.

"Thank you..."

"Does Hailie know?" Marshall asked, looking up and cocking his head at me. I nodded.

"Yeah, erm I told her in the hospital."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

I sighed. "I was going to, I really was. But then I thought, hey, you're an international star, you'd probably just blow me off on the street if you knew I had nothing."

Marshall looked at me as if I was three-headed. "Are you kidding me, Leila? Do you think I judge people on where and how they live or come from? No fucking way! Leila, if you were green, purple, even pink I would have still taken you in." I felt my cheeks turn a deep shade of red. I tried to hide it.

"Thanks, Marshall. You don't know how much it means to me for you to do this. I cannot thank you enough."

"Actually I cannot thank you enough. Hell, you saved my own daughter's life!" He ran a hand through his buzzed brown hair.

"Well, I'm gonna go to bed, I have rehearsals tomorrow," he paused. "Wait, you're okay with being with Kim and Hailie and the girls by yourself here, right?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "Of course!" Marshall grinned.

"Great. Well, I'll see you in the morning, Leila." he got up and gave me a hug. He kissed my head. "Just come in my room if you need anything. It's right down the hallway, the door next to Hailie's. Just don't go in Kim's room okay?" I nodded. "I don't sleep in there."

"Okay," I smiled. Marshall got up and walked to the door.

"Goodnight!" he cooed. I giggled.

"Night Marshall." As soon as he closed the door, I managed to fit a pair of Hailie's pajama pants over my cast. I took off my shirt and grabbed a night shirt from Hailie's pile also. I carefully got into the bed, moving the duvet over my leg carefully and getting into a comfortable position. I was just about to doze off until a knock came at my door.

"Leila?" Marshall called through the door. "Are you awake?"

"Yeah," I replied, "Come in!" He walked in shirtless. I tried not to blush and stare, but his body was just perfect. His abs weren't ripped but they were pretty toned if you ask me. His tattoos were extremely se - okay, Leila stop he's like your father.

"Sorry for the no shirt thing, something just crossed my mind and I had to ask." I blushed and nodded for him to continue. "Well, you said your mother would probably look for you, correct?"

"Yeah." I could already tell where this was going.

"Well, since I'm famous, whenever I'm out there is paparazzi. They take pictures, and um if you're, you know, with me when they take pictures, they have a chance of getting you in it." he paused. "They usually go on magazines and the internet, so how would that work if your mother is trying to find you?"

"Honestly," I started. "I have no idea. I'm just trying to stay away, trying to get her not to find me. I mean, I ran away as far enough as I could." Marshall looked at me with saddened eyes. "I'm just trying my best, and whatever happens happens."

"Leila, I promise you I will not let anything happen to you." I smiled and blushed a bit. "I will not let that nasty woman come near you or hurt you. When you're under my house, you're under my rules. And my rules are, well, there are no rules. Just not to get hurt."

"Thank you." I smiled genuinely at him. He shrugged it off.

"It's nothing. Sorry I barged in and woke you. Goodnight."

"Night." I sat back and smiled at my new life and how fortunate I got to get this kind of life.

Before I could even close my eyes, I was already asleep.