Chapter Twelve

I sighed, sitting down at the kitchen table. I had grabbed a granola bar and I began to tear it open. I took a bite. I threw the wrapper out and started to scarf down my granola.

I began to think. Why does Kim have to cheat on Marshall? It's digusting. When Lanie started to cry, my stomach and heart clenched. Why did it have to be this way for Marshall? For the little ones? For Hailee? And.. for me?

I would love to see who Kim was cheating on Marshall with. I knew for a fact Marshall would do something to him - kick his ass. Even though it's rude, but honestly, wouldn't you do the same? For Kim to put her kids in that position makes me sick. Marshall better get custody.

Out of no where, the front door burst open. Kim came stumbling through, attempting to kick off her heels and hang up her purse.

She was definitely drunk.

Following her, a dark-skinned man came in after her. My eyes widened, what the hell?!

I stared at the two drunks in disbelief. So this is who she was cheating on Marshall with? What a joke.

"Leeee!" Kim slurred. I cursed under my breath. Great.

All I could do was pray that none of the girls hear her.

"Umm," I mumbled, unsure of what to say.

"This is my boyfriend!" she drunkily cheered. My eyes almost popped out of my head. I grabbed my phone out and sent a text to Marshall, telling him to come home immediately.

"Your boyfriend?" I questioned. "What the fuck, Kim? How could you do this?"

"Do whaatt!" she slurred. The man behind her laughed and I got the chills. I'm disgusted.

"Do this to him! To Marshall, to us?!" I cried.

She ignored me, throwing keys on the counter before turning towards the man she brought home.

"Lets go upstairs, yeah?" Kim suggested and he smirked, staring directly at me as he followed her upstairs. I nearly gagged.

Feet padded into the kitchen. "Leila?" Whitney called. I felt my heart stop as I turned the corner and thankfully, Kim was already upstairs.

"Y-yeah love," I answered nervously. My phone continuously buzzed and I ignored Marshall's worried texts.

"Was that Mommy?" she asked me, peering up the stairs. I hurriedly blocked the staircase from her.

I gently tugged her away. "Erm, I believe so but she's incredibly sick. Daddy is coming home soon," I told her nervously.

She didn't seem to catch on, that I was almost trembling. Whitney's mouth tugged into a smile, and my heart clenched. I fought back the tears.

"Okay!" she chirped, hugging my leg quickly before running off into the living room to her sister. My mind drifted off to Hailee, she was definitely in her room. Hopefully she would come downstairs soon.

The door abruptly opened quickly and in came a panting Marshall. When he saw me he sighed with relief, leaning over to place his hands on his knees for support.

"Leila," he breathed. "Thank god you're okay. I was so worried, you weren't answering my texts and -"

I cut him off. "Marshall, it's Kim. She.. she -"

"What happened?" his eyes snapped to mine. Marshall's face expression was full with nervousness and anger.

"She brought home a m-man," I choked out. His eyes went wide with madness as he bolted to the staircase. I ran in front of him, holding him back.

"Marshall! Marshall she's drunk, they're both drunk!" I screamed in attempt of calming him down. He thrashed, pulling me away a little to forcefully and booming up the stairs.

"Daddy?" Lanie and Whitney came running into the kitchen. I couldn't stop the tears that were running down my face. "Leila?"

"Lanie, Whitney, baby," I tried to stay calm as I spoke. "please, go back inside."

"What's going on?" Whitney cried. Her light eyes were full of tears. I ushered the wailing girls back into the living room and turned on the TV full blast.

"Stay in here okay?" I told them rushingly. They nodded and I forced a small smile, kissing their foreheads before running up the stairs.

"What the fuck?!" I heard Marshall scream. I raced towards the closed door where the sound was coming from.

"What the fuck Kim? Who the fuck is this?" he shouted. I heard someone fall and I mentally screamed, the tears in an endless stream down my face.

"Marshall! Marshall STOP!" Kim desperately screamed, and I could practically hear her trying to pull Marshall off the guy.

The man's yelps made me shake. I knew this was bound to happen. And she deserves it.

"What the hell is going on?" Hailee's voice startled me. I turned to her direction and she was standing in the doorway. Her blonde hair was pulled into a high bun, and she looked confused as ever.

"Hailee, I-"

I was interrupted when the door opened. Marshall was staring down at me, his white t-shirt covered in blood. My eyes were wide as I scrambled to back away.

I saw the fresh cuts on his knuckles. Marshall shut the door behind him and I heard Kim's faint cries. I didn't feel bad at all. She did this to herself. She deserved it.

"Leila," he seethed, his voice was hoarse. He opened and closed his fists, biting his bottom lip. He stared down at me, unsure of what to do. Then, he stuck his hand out to help me up.

I tried to ignore the fact that his hands were covered in blood. I took his hand and got to my feet. My legs were shaking.

His eyes lifted to Hailee. Her mouth was hanging wide open, blinking a few times. My stomach dropped for what felt like the hundredth time today. Hailee looked so confused.

"Hail, I-"

"What the fuck did you do, dad?" Hailee trembled. A tear escaped her blue eye. A few strands of hair fell around her face, making her look so much like Kim.

Marshall chewed on his lip, a habit I suspected when he doesn't know what to say.

I almost forgot that Hailee knew nothing that was going on. She must have thought that Marshall beat up Kim. I'd have to explain to her later.

"You're a monster." she choked. Marshall's eyes found mine and I frowned.

"Hailee, it isn't what it looks like," I managed to tell her. She looked at me, pushing a blonde strand of hair behind her ear.

Hailee scoffed. "You're taking his side?"

I nodded, my eyes trailing back to Marshall. "You should be too,"

She rolled her eyes before turning around and slamming her door shut. I sighed, standing up to face Marshall.

His mouth opened but I cut him off.

"It's okay," I said to him. I already knew what he was going to say.

"Where are the girls?" he whispered. I motioned my hand downstairs. He drew in a breath.

I cleared my throat. "H-how far did you... um, did you-"

"I didn't kill him." Marshall said, his eyes locking with mine for a second before he looked back at the ground.

I looked over at the door behind him when I heard faint cries. I ignored them, like Marshall did.

"I need to change," he stated before walking past me into another room. I assumed that was the room he was sleeping in before.

He tore the blood stained shirt off his toned body before replacing it with another white shirt. He looked at himself in the mirror, running a hand through his buzzed hair.

Marshall soon met me outside the room. I noticed the fresh cuts on his knuckles. "Let me clean those." I said to him.

He hesitated, but I gave him no choice. I led my guardian to the kitchen. I grabbed a cotton ball before pouring alcohol on it. I dabbed it over the cuts. Marshall drew in a sharp breath.

"Sorry," I mumbled as I placed mini bandaids over his knuckles. He forced a smile to thanking me.

"Daddy?" Lanie squeaked. We turned around to find the girls peeking at us around the corner.

Marshall let out a relieved sigh. "Girls," he breathed, kneeling down with his arms open. My sisters ran into his embrace. I smiled, admiring their father and daughter relationship.

I wish I could have had that.

"Listen girls, don't go upstairs." he told them, looking at them sternly.

"Why?" Whitney piped up.

"Because I said so," Marshall snapped. Lanie and Whitney frowned. His eyes softened.

"Just don't, okay?" he pleaded and they nodded. He pulled them in for one more hug before they scurried off to play.

Marshall returned next to me. I gave him a weak smile.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him softly.

"No." He said quietly. I nodded and decided to give him his time. He needed to relax himself. I can't imagine what his mind was going through right now.

Fucking Kim.

"Can you talk to Hailee for me?" he asked me.

I nodded right away. "Of course. She needs to know what happened before she jumps to conclusions."

"Thank you, Leila"

I nodded again. "Anytime."