Chapter Twenty-One

"Leila? Leila, wake up!" My shoulders were shaken by a pair of hands. I groaned, forcing my eyes open and looking at my surroundings. My bed.

I didn't remember anything that happened or how I fell asleep. Hailie looked at me with worried eyes, biting her lip with her teeth.

"You passed out." she clarified as if she could read my thoughts.

Everything seemed to come back to me then. The phone call, my mother, Marshall, her house. I wasn't surprised that it had to be my father that kidnapped Marshall. But why? I didn't think he knew about the abusing while I lived with my parents, or maybe he did? Either way, I was still scared shitless.

I wanted to go to the police. I wanted to go so bad, I knew exactly where Marshall was being held. This was all my fault. If I never ran away, Marshall wouldn't be in any danger. Nothing would be happening. If I went to the police, there was no doubt about it that my mother would kill me someway and somehow. I know Marshall said he could protect me, but I don't think he would be able to.

"I know where your father is," I said shakily, sitting up on my hands. Hailie's eyes widened and she grabbed my hand in hers, squeezing it tightly.

"You do? Leila, are you serious?" she asked shockingly. I sighed, running a hand down my face.

"That man was my father, Hailie." I said quietly. Her eyes almost popped out of her head and I almost felt her cower away from me.

"W-what?" I stayed silent, looking at my hands. She shifted towards me, placing a hand on my shoulder in comfort. But even her comfort wasn't making me feel any better. "We have to go to the police about this."

"No!" I yelled abruptly. She jumped back, startled by my outburst. "She'll kill me, Hailie. She'll kill Marshall. You can't tell the police!"

"But he's in enough danger already! This is only getting worse!"

"She won't kill him without having a reason to!"

"Leila, do you realize how ridiculous you're sounding?" Hailie asked loudly. "This is my father we're talking about! I'm going to the police about this whether you like it or not."

I bit my tongue, holding back the curse I wanted to shout at her. "You're going to get me killed."

"You know Dad wouldn't let that happen." Her voice softened.

"I don't know if I could believe that." I said quietly, fiddling with my thumbs. She sighed.

"We have to get him back, Leila. We have to."

I nodded silently.

Hailie pushed her hair back, standing from my bed. She held out a hand to me, gesturing me to stand. I obliged. She hesitantly wrapped me in a hug and I reciprocated, squeezing her tight.

"It'll be okay, I promise." she said. I smiled weakly, pulling her back by her shoulders.

"Thank you so much," I whispered, and I truly meant it. I didn't realize how grateful I was for having Hailie until now. She was truly my rock, as cheesy as it sounds.

"Now come on, we have a crime to handle." I smiled at her words and followed her out of my room.

--

"The police said they're sending cars out there now." Hailie said once she walked in the door. She flung her keys on the counter and sat next to me.

I gave her an uncomfortable smile. "I'm nervous," I admitted.

"So am I, but my father is a strong guy." she told me truthfully. "He won't let her come near you, Leila. Neither of them, not even your dad."

I nodded at her words. I hoped Hailie would stick to her word and everything would go away. I had a feeling she would, she's seemed to be right a lot lately.