Chapter two: The wicked bride.

Today was the day my father married the lady Arabella. Despite my countless mutiny, it was happening. And, I was continuedly watched. I sat in front of the fire, waiting the this dreadful day to be over. The whole castle was running around. Lords and ladies from far and wide was here. To pay tribute to the new queen. Horses and chariots. Silk gowns and velvet capes. I wanted to sit in a corner. I wanted the ground to swallow me and relief me of this misery.

 Nanny Ariel: It is time. 

 Honestly, I did not want to go. But, what other choice did I had?. I slowly started to walk towards the great hall. When I heard Kahl calling for me. 

General Kahl: May I accompany you, your highness?.

Luna: Yes. Nanny Ariel go ahead, I'll be there soon.

  Kahl took my hand in his. He was only friend aside from nanny Ariel. After, my very interesting first meeting with the new queen to be, Kahl was the only one who tried to understand my frustration. He stood outside my door instead of assigning unknown guards.

General Kahl: I am sorry about of this Luna. I wish there was something I could do for your or Queen Lucille.

Luna: I know we couldn't have stopped what happened. Our enemies were cunning. I just don't understand why now?. The war has been going on for years.

General Kahl: The Queen was poisoned. It was poison made from an certain flower. it is called Lady of mort. 

Luna: How did you know?

General Kahl: The palace physician eats like a horse. I have sneaking him extra food, so he would give me information about certain people and certain poison.  In case, we needed them for a secret mission. He told me.

Luna: Lady of mort. Beautiful and deadly. Only found in the forests of Nesh.

General Kahl : We have been in war with for years. The dead ones were at the border. Not in palaces, until now.

Luna: If the King of Nesh wanted my mother dead, why do it in secret?.

General Kahl: It is war Luna. Nothing is fair. And, there is no right time to kill.

Luna: My mother did not deserve this.

General Kahl: I know.

Luna: And, what of this woman?.

  Kahl looked at me with guilt. He knew something I did not. I was trying my best to look contained as we walked.

Luna: What is it? Who is she Kahl?.

General Kahl: Your father's mistress. The duchess of Cozen.

Luna: For how long?.

General Kahl : I have only seen them once. I swear Luna. It was an accident.

Luna: Do you think my mother knew about this?.

General Kahl : I do not think so. They always looked so  happy.  I only walked past by your father tent one night on the border. When I heard the noises. And, then she came out her hair was messy, trying to cover up herself. I knew what they were doing. She was smiling too.

Luna: I knew she was more than what she seemed.

  Rage filled my veins. My father was noting but a traitorous scoundrel. My mother loved him. She always made sure he was happy. She supported him even when his decision cost us hundreds of soldiers. She only had eyes for him. And, him played the role of a dotting husband and betrayed her behind her back with an crone.

General Kahl: Be careful, Luna. Lady Arabella has powerful friends. 

Luna: I know.

   We were in the great hall. I walked up to the my chair. Right next to the thrones. The trumpets went off. The crowd watched as the newly dressed queen made her way with her king in her arms towards the throne. If its dotting and imbecile daughter my father wanted, then I shall play the part. I will be the clueless princess they want me to be but they will not know what they have awaken. My mother wasn't called the Lady of the thorns for no reason. She was a beautiful rose, cut down. But, I'll be the thorn. I'll make them bleed without them knowing. I smiled at the newly wed couple. 

   The crowd bowed. I stood up and bowed my head. Queen Arabella, gave me the most wicked smile. But, I knew the hidden meaning behind it even when my father did not. She wanted me silenced. But, as long I breathed I was the heir. 

***************************** Later that night*******************************

  The festivities went on for hours. Drinking, dancing and laughing as if nothing had happened. Few left early. Good to know they were still some left who had their head in place. I waited until nightfall. I needed to go and check my mother's chambers. I waited until Kahl came to dismiss the guards and stand outside my door. He was the only one I could trust with this. Nanny Ariel came to get me dressed for bed. She gave me looks, I knew she thought it was odd that I was suddenly so calm but she did question me. After she left, I my dark robe around me and waited. I heard Kahl's voice on the other end. And, then I heard the heavy footsteps of the guards fade away. I slowly opened the door.

General Kahl: Luna! What is it?.

Luna: I need your help.

General Kahl: What is it, Luna?.

Luna: I need to go my mother's chambers. Do you think you can get me there unnoticed?. Please, Kahl something about all this doesn't make any sense.

General Kahl: Hold on. Let me go there first.

  Kahl walked towards my mother's chambers on the south wing. I heard him speaking, but I couldn't make anything out of it. He came back around the corner and motioned me to follow him. I walked as quietly as possible. The heavy doors were only shut. There was no lock. Kahl opened the door slightly and I slid though.

General Kahl: Be quick. You father's ordered everyone to stay out of this room.

Luna: I will.

  I walked inside. Nothing changed. It was untouched. I looked the floor. At the same spot she was laying down. Where the blood spilled. The bed was still unmade and messy. I wanted to touch the sheets but I did not have enough time. I quickly started to look for anything that can give a clue to what happened that night. I was getting frustrated after a while and decided to give up. And, then my eyes fell on something right next to the fireplace. I picked up the tiny broach. It was made with jade and a dragon craved onto it. It was the symbol of house of Hellion. The ruling family of Nesh. It was clear why it was in my mother's room. Whoever it was who poisoned my mother, they were from Nesh. 

    I walked outside and Kahl took me to my room. I turned around and held the broach. 

Luna: It was someone from Nesh. You might have been right.

General Kahl: We must tell your father.

Luna: NO! He doesn't seem to care about her. He will not want justice for her.

General Kahl: What is you want to do?. This makes it clear the queen was killed by our enemies.

Luna: I know. I have to find a way get justice for her. 

  I couldn't sleep all night. Anger, and grief kept me up all night. I wanted vengeance. The kingdom of Nesh wanted our crown for years. They thought just because they defeated us hundred years ago, they could do it again. If we were capable of taking back our kingdom back once, we could again. At this point, I was sure if I told father her would just throw another political excuse at me like his marriage. 

     Queen Arabella wasn't just clever. She was damn good at it too. She carried an secret liaison with my father for quiet some time. She knew what she wanted and how to get it. And, she did. For now, I did not need to watch out for assassins', I need to watch out for her.