Chapter twenty three: Death of a King.

Luna

Honor. Chivalrous. Brave. Where was the honor in this?. Where was the chivalry in this?. And, there is certainly no bravery in this. These seven days feel like seven lifetimes. Our people looked at us with hope and now they will look at us with regret. Maybe that is what happens when you tackle the unknown. When I looked at his pale face covered with claw marks. I could not believe he was gone. But, what was more breaking me was the things I have felt scared to tell him.

I fought, I cried. I walked, I cried. I put flowers on his grave, I cried. I loved him. I know I did. But, why did I never say it until he was gone?. Guilt and shame was filling me in from the inside. I wanted to scream, I wanted to rip her heart out. But, life is so short that you may never know who and what is in front of you for the last time. Allerick's funeral was not grand. It was clean and minimal just like he was. He knew what he wanted and he knew what needed to be done.

He stood by me even when his father died. He did not have to carry out the plans of a dead man, but he was brave enough to finish what his father had started. I remember the day I met the young boy, who understood his duties more than any man I knew. He loved and he protected. Even when he knew he was following someone who barely knew what they wanted.

I came back to Helliovanna after the funeral. Not because I was too sad to be at Nesh. I was but what was bigger than my fear was my guilt. I could not meet Viorica's eyes. I could not face the people in his court. I could not bear to see young Gavrill lying in this bed. Just like hundreds of our subjects.

The castle has been in havoc. Fear and uncertainty has grabbed everyone by the shoulders.

Lady Eir: I have news.

I did not look up at her. I looked out the window. Anything, but another hopeless information.

Lady Eir: This is something you want to hear, your majesty.

Luna: What is it?!.

Lady Eir: The priestesses back at the monastery have found something. It is about blood magic.

Luna: You mean, we can track her?.

Lady Eir: It is possible.

Lady Eir took out a huge, thick old book and spread it open on the desk. She moved so I could see the page. I could not understand what it said, but I knew this language. I looked at Lady Eir with hope.

Lady Eir: The source of Arabella's magic is her blood. And, her blood got their magic from the land they were born in. We do not need blood, we need the source.

Luna: Source?. You mean the dirt?.

I gave a perplexed look. She smiled back at me and took out a small pouch. I opened it, there was dirt inside.

Luna: You can actually track her with this. The source of her magic.

Lady Eir: Yes. I have to concentrate. It has been awhile since I have done this.

Luna: Take all the time you need. And then sent word to the Queen of Savajonne. It is about time we have a proper conversation.

We all stood as Lady Eir sat in the middle of a huge red circle. We lit the whole dungeon with candles. Khal smiled at Lady Eir. I wanted to say something but I held my tongue. Ferial, Kiri and Angus stood behind me. After a while, I could hear Ferial let out a huff.

Hours passed, so far there was no sign from Lady Eir. She sat in the middle in deep thought, with her eyes closed. Dirt in her hand and the old book open in front of her. As much I wanted to shake her, I still gave her the benefit of the doubt.