Chapter seventeen: The Roads ahead........

It was midday, Allerick and Kahl were riding in the front along with Lady Eir. Ferial and I were somewhere in the middle, the white and red. Cloaks and uniforms. Within two days we will be in Petrichor where Kiri and Angus are supposed to meet us and only then will we plan the next move. Last few days have been nothing but battle planning and going over strategies. Allerick and I barely got any time to talk about anything else besides my father and Queen Arabella. Lady Eir continuously criticized everything Kahl did. I knew Kahl was capable of making a decent battle strategy; he was the youngest general in the Leucos royal army for a reason. But, according to Lady Eir he was just a child who was just lucky enough to rise to the top. Even Though Kahl was the most patient person I knew, he had his limits. And, right now they were running thin given by the look on his face.

At night, we camped and others stood guard or practiced their magic. The three young girls from the monastery were the best among the young practitioners. Over the course of weeks we received news the Leucos army kept attacking Eirlys and Viorica had to move back her forces because she did not want to lose any more soldiers than she already did. We sent reinforcement but so far we did not receive any news. Our spies informed us about the queen planning to send soldiers our way. Which kept us all in high alert.

I walked outside the tent after tossing and turning in my bed. Ferial and I shared a tent. She was always a fast sleeper which often made me jealous. I wish I could sleep as fast and calmly as she did. We were two days away from Petrichor. Soon, we will be closer to my father. And, closer to her. Cozen decided to remain neutral. They did not take queen Arabella's side either. According to the letter sent by their lord chancellor. Cozen no longer had a duchess. They no longer wished to be ruled by any member of her family. Which was easy enough given the fact she had none. But, it also gave us hope that if she was expecting a child he or she will no longer inherit Cozen.

Last time when I was face to face with her. She reminded me how easily my father could replace me and put anyone else on the throne by naming them his heir. They had been together before my mother's death. I would not be surprised if she was with a child.As much I wanted to make her suffer, I could not harm an innocent soul. Especially a child. The cool air filled my nostrils, I looked up at the dark sky. Thousands of stars, they were guiding and keeping secrets of the things that happened at night. I walked into the forest. Few guards looked at me but I nodded my head letting them know that I would be alone. The wind blew quietly and the crackling of the woods burning created an eerie and calm ambiance. If I didn't know better, I would never have believed there was a war going on. There blood could be spilling somewhere right now.

I was lost in my own thoughts, when I felt someone came and stood beside me. I turned to my side to see it was Lady Eir. She looked younger than she was when she wore her armour. She was in her nightgown and a heavy rober hung on her shoulders. Even in the dark she looked like a fierce, wild priestess of magic.

Lady Eir: Hmm, nights like this will be lost soon.

Luna: I know. Two nights from now we could be dead.

Lady Eir: Your majesty, you are supposed to give me hope of survival.

Luna: You know better than this. You would have laughed at me.

Lady Eir: Yes, I would. It would prove that you are as naive as you seem.

I frowned under the moonlight. But, I knew how brutally honest she can be. She was right. I was naive. I still hold onto the hope that my father could be salvaged and my throne will be mine no matter what. Lady Eir noticed my discomfort. And, she continued.

Lady Eir: Hope is good. It keeps you going and gives you the strength to fight.

Luna: But, only hoping will do nothing.