Chapter twenty-four: Tales of the past.

Maksim

We are about a half way to Savajonne. General Kahl avoided talking to me as much as humanly possible. We rode side by side in silence. No matter what people described me as, I was not a liar. I never had to try to be one. It was easy for me to tell the truth. Because, I knew my truth was more disappointing than my lies. My mother always hated that part of me. She said I was too candid as a child and a nuisance as I reached adulthood.

Then again she always had something to say about me and what I did. I once heard my mother tell one of her council members about how much she worried who would inherit her. As much joy it brought me, it also brought me shame. All at once. Maybe, I was not good enough to follow in her footsteps. But, I soon realized it was not that, she did not want me in her throne because she did not want a tainted bloodline in her throne. I was hers, but I was also my fathers. Whoever he was.

The night Queen Luna and King Allerick left the palace, I saw my mother summoning her guards. I never thought she would be planning a bloodbath so soon. It was too soon. But, if my doubt did not stop me then I could have stopped it. Or maybe I could have warned her.

I was angry. At her for not listening. At my mother for going so far. Queen Selena loved playing games. She wanted to teach Queen Lucille a lesson. But, since she was dead, my mother found her next target, her daughter. I have witnessed my mother visiting witches and sorcerers over the years. It was crystal clear that she wanted more children. Her line of lovers makes it easier to see. But, she was unable to have them.

She welcomed people who were forbidden to practice their dark arts. She played with fire. She even went to lengths that were unspeakable. But, she did not have what she wanted. And, I did not care. I would be gone from the palace for days and she would send guards to find until it was an absolute necessity.

When I saw Luna for the first time, I did not know what happened. But, I felt the urge to protect her. I was drawn to her. His enchanting eyes, her honey skin, her ink hair. I have seen many beautiful women, but none was her. Something, I could believe I was feeling.

I was lost in my thoughts when I heard Kahl clearing his throat. I tilted my head slightly and looked at him.

Kahl: Luna may trust you enough to send me with you. I just wanted to say I do not.

Maksim: Well, rest assured the feeling is quite mutual Sir.

Kahl: I have no reason to kill you.

Maksim: Neither do I.

Kahl: Why are you helping her?.

Maksim: What makes you think I am helping her?. I am helping myself.

Kahl: Is that so, your highness?.

Maksim: Yes. She can get me what I want.

Kahl: The throne belongs to you anyway. Why fight for it?.

Maksim: If only it was this easy. She would kill me before she ever lets me sit on it.

Khal: What a happy family.

I raised my eyebrows and looked at him. He looked at me with serious eyes. I let out a laugh.

Maksim: You would make an excellent entertainer.

Kahl: Something, I do not want to do. I have a serious duty.

Maksim: You said like an infinite time. Sir.

Kahl: Stop calling me that!. Your highness.

Maksim: Look at you, so bold you insult a prince.

Kahl: I do not insult you. I am here to help my queen. And, this raises my suspicions every single minute.