Chapter 4: Rehearsal Drama

After the group dance is over Abby calls Kalani and Mackenzie in to work on their duet and Gianna works with the minis on their group routine. While the rest of the girls make their way to the dance den my mom motions for me to follow her as she walks up to Abby.

I don't know what she wants but this can't be good.

"Hey Abby, I know your working on your duet so I won't take too much of your time but I do have a question." my mom says smiling "sweetly."

"Kalani and Mackenzie play your music and stretch I'll be in in a second." Once they do what she says she turns back to us. "Why don't we take this outside?"

Abby then leads us to just outside of the main rehearsal space, near where the other moms are seated on the risers. "What did you want to ask me?"

"I know your going to be pretty busy with the duets for the rest of today so I was wondering if Trinity could rehearse her solo in an empty practice room. Maybe one of the girls like Brynn could come in and just give her some feedback so that she isn't just sitting around waiting on you. My daughter is a very hard worker and I just want to make sure she gives this opportunity her all." my mom says sounding like a very concerned mother but I know her better than that.

My mom is very competitive and a master manipulator she's only doing this so that it's a sure way I'll win the competition this weekend. We all know none of the other girls gets extra time on their numbers.

"That's a great idea Anastasia! Though Trinity if I let you do this I expect first place by at least 10 points." I nod in agreement with a serious look on my face. If I smile I feel like the moms are going to think it was my idea or something.

"Alright why don't you and Brynn go to Studio C and won't on your solo. When it's your time to rehearse I expect perfection." I nod one more time and watch as Abby walks back into the main studio.

"Your such a suck up Anastasia." Jill says once Abby is out of earshot. "Of course you would think that Jill. I'm just doing what's best for my daughter." Jill looks like she wants to retort but my mom puts her hand on my back and starts leading me to the dancer den.

"When you rehearse your solo I want every dancer in here to be afraid am I clear?" My mom says sternly.

"Crystal."

"Good. Now tell Brynn what Abby said and rehearse until you can't anymore. This is a big opportunity for you, don't waste it." I know there's more she wants to say but the cameras are catching all of our words so she's playing it safe. Smart.

Like I said before she's a master manipulator.

My mom gives me a quick hug before walking back to the other moms who look like they're about to start the argument of a lifetime. I walk into the den nervously and walk up to Brynn. "Hey, Abby says I can rehearse my solo in Studio C. Do you wanna come with?"

"Of course I do. I want to see what's so good about this solo that's got Abby so excited."

"If anyone else wants to come, that's fine with me."

Nia gets up and makes her way over to Brynn and I. Maddie starts to get up but Kendall pulls her back and whispers something in her ear. I wonder what she said.

"I'll come and get you guys if Abby needs you." JoJo says. I thank JoJo then exit the dancer den with Nia and Brynn.

Nia, Brynn, and I enter Studio C with the producers and camera following us closely. I turn on my music and do the solo once for them so that they can see the choreography. "I'm probably going to put some more complicated moves in so that it's competition ready."

"Alright so let's run it from the top without the music so Nia and I can give you feedback."

We go through it a couple of times with them giving me various notes and once I'm done we take a small break to all sit on the floor and talk. "Your leg turn is unreal, how long did that take to master?" Brynn asks curiously.

"Honestly not that long but it's only because I did gymnastics for a long time."

"Really that's so cool." Nia says smiling.

JoJo walks in and we all look at her curiously. "What's up?" I ask. "The first duet is over so everyone can head back to the den. Also Abby wants to talk to you in the main studio."

"What does she want to talk about?" I ask confused. My solo rehearsal isn't for another hour. "I have no idea." JoJo shrugs. I wave bye to Nia and Brynn and walk into the main studio where Maddie and Kendall are warming up for their duet rehearsal.

I walk up to Abby. "You asked for me?" Abby gives me a smile with a look that says "I know something you don't," whatever she wants it can't be good.

"You we're on a competition team before this, right?" I nod in agreement not getting where she's going with this.

"Well on competition teams there's always a 'swing' dancer that learns the choreography just in case something goes wrong. Now I'm not giving you this duet but I do want you to stay in the back and learn the choreography that Gia and I teach. I need to see if you can learn several dances at once."

"Okay Ms. Abby." I say giving her a focused look.

The moms aren't going to like this at all.