Chapter 10 Part 1: A Different Kind of Rehearsal

I'm running the routine with Areana when I'm hit with an idea to make the dance a bit harder for her since her technique is amazing. If she can nail this trick the judges will have to give her a perfect score in the technique and choregraphy categories.

"Areana I'm going to go ask Gia a question real quick. Mom can you restart the music so she can run it again while I'm gone?" Sari agrees and I give her a grateful smile. "Thank you so much! I'll be back in a few minutes. Areana don't forget to really push off on your leaps."

I give them both one last smile and make my way to Studio B where Gia and Lily are. 

"Hey Gianna, can I borrow you for a quick second?" Gianna nods and says some quick words to Lily who starts rehearsing again. "What's up? How's it going with Areana's solo?"

"It's going great! She catches on to choreography really fast especially since I can demonstrate what I mean. She's definitely a visual learner. I was wondering I could change 4 counts in the choreogrpahy."

"What part?"

"Well I wanted to add a scorpion after she gets up from her leap instead of a fankick because she is really flexible and I know she can do it. I also wanted to change the triple pirouette after the release of the contraction. I kind of wanted to add one of my signature moves to it-"

"Your pencil turn right? Are you sure Areana can do that? It's a really advanced move for the mini division."

"Yes but Areana has the flexibility I had when I was her age, she's almost like a mini me with her technique. Not only do I want to add a pencil turn, but I want to do another one immediately after it on her opposite leg. It's super risky but if she nails it the judges will have to give her a perfect score in technique." I say excitedly, explaining exactly what I mean and on what counts I want the new moves. 

"I trust your judgement, especially after the masterclass. Change what you want, I'll let Abby know so that you don't have to face her."

I thank Gianna enthusiastically and head back to Studio C to make the corrections in the choreography.

"So I have some exciting news! Since we've already finished learning your entire solo, Gianna has let me make some changes to the choreography to add more of a wow factor. Now Sari if you don't feel comfortable because of my age I understand, but I do see Areana as the same level that I was at her age. So I am going to give her more difficult moves."

I finish explaining and wait patiently for Sari to make her decision.

"I say yes! If there's anything you can do to give her a competitive edge I'm all for it. I know my daughter and I know she'll be able to do it no matter how difficult. " Sari says happily.

"And Areana are you okay with this? It's okay if you're not, I want you to be completely comfortable when your perform this weekend." I say.

"Yes I'm ready to learn new moves and be an amazing dancer just like you Trinity." Areana says enthusiastically with her high pitched voice. "Aw your sweet! Give me a hug." Me and her exchange a quick hug and then we move on to adding the scorpion and pencil turns.

"Okay now that we've done it let me see the pencil turns again." Areana attempts the turns but bobbles a bit and falls out of the second one. "I can't do it." she says upset and crossing her arms.

"Ari if you can do a scorpion you can do these pencil turns. Just make sure you keep your balance and use your momentum. I know you can do it!" I say encouragingly, giving her a brief hug to cheer her up and stop her from crying.

"Okay Trinity." she says hiccuping. "Hey why don't you give mommy a hug and then do it. I know this is a lot to learn in one day." I say sympathetically. I feel so bad that she's overwhelmed but at the same time I want to push her to become an amazing dancer and to try new things.

Areana gives Sari a big hug and then comes back to her spot to attempt the pencil turns. She does the eight count before the two turns and then nails them perfectly with a big smile on her face. Areana runs up and hugs me causing me to laugh. "Thank you so much Trinity!" she says in her cute little voice.

"Don't thank me that was all you." I take a quick glance outside the window and see that the trio has finished rehearsing. "I think that's all the time we have today, why don't you go catch up with the other minis." 

Areana runs out excitedly while her mom hangs back for a second. "Thank you Trinity for being patient with her and helping her stay competitive." Sari gives me a hug and then follows her daughter out.

I walk into Studio A and notice Maddie is in there as well. It doesn't seem like she's been learning her solo yet so hopefully I didn't get the times confused. I join her where she is stretching.

"Hey, how was teaching little Ari?" Maddie asks giving me a genuine smile as we both stretch on the floor waiting on Abby. "It was really different then working with- its different then what I'm used to but she's a really sweet kid so." I say stumbling a bit over my words, almost revealing the masterclass I taught but the other girls and moms besides my own and Brynn don't know about.

Maddie and I chat for a bit longer before we get off of the floor when Abby and Gia walk in. "I'm sure both of you are wondering why you're here at the same time if you're both learning solos this week, right? Well Gianna and I thought it would be good for you two to sit in and watch the other rehearse. You both are phenemonal dancers with national titles so it'll be good for you to see how the other dances and applies corrections."

"Maddie you're up first. Trinity you can take a seat in the back there." Abby says. I give Maddie and little side hug and wish her luck before sitting in the back to observe.

(A/N) I didn't get to fit everything I wanted into this chapter so I made it a two parter so that I could at least give you guys something to read. I know I spent a lot of time with Areana and her mom this chapter but I feel like it's important to see how Trinity reacts to others in the studio besides her mom and Brynn. Next part will go more in depth on Trinity's solo as well as some mama drama. Let me know what you thought in the comments.