Chapter 7: First Competition

"Okay girls is everyone done getting ready for their numbers. The solo, duet, and trio categories are up first." Abby announces as Kalani, Mackenzie, Maddie, Kendall, and I are finishing up with our makeup, the other girls getting ready for the group dance. We all nod as I put down my mascara.

"Good. Kalani and Mackenzie since yours requires the most acting why don't we run yours first. Remember this piece is dark, its contemporary, it's about a mother who's raising her daughter to be completely ruthless. Mackenzie your a teenager now I need you to prove to me you can do other styles besides hip-hop and acro. Kalani this is contemporary this should be a walk in the park for you." Abby says giving them one of her pep-talks.

Gianna starts the music and they perform it flawlessly. The duet looks like it was made for them and their movement is unreal. I smile impressed with their dancing. 

"If you dance like that you'll win for sure. Make sure you put more strength behind the Kalani, I saw a little bit of a bobble. You need to make this all look easy. The judges can take points off for anything." Mackenzie and Kalani nod in response.

"Okay Maddie and Kendall your up next."

My mom grabs my arm and pulls me to the side. "I don't care what happens onstage. You beat everyone by ten points and prove your the best of the best. Do you understand?" my mom whispers intensely so that the cameras don't hear her. I nod in response and start marking my routine to make sure everything is perfect.

I stop going through my routine when I hear Abby start to yell at Kendall.

"I can not believe you! You've had this duet for a week, what do you mean you forgot the most important part of the piece!" Abby says angrily while Kendall looks like she's going to cry. 

"Do it again from that last eight count hopefully it was just a fluke." Gianna says kindly, trying to calm down the growing tension in the room.

Maddie and Kendall run their dance again and get to the turn sequence before the part Kendall forgot. On the second turn Kendall falls out of it and tries to quickly rejoin the duet. When the get to the leap she completely forgets what she's doing again and just stops. Gianna turns off the music and looks at Abby nervously. 

Abby sighs and takes a step towards Maddie and Kendall.

"Trinity get over here!"

"Yes, Ms. Abby?" I ask confused. "Do you know this dance?" Abby asks me sternly. "Yes." I say timidly.

I don't want to take this dance away from Kendall. I'm not that type of person and I don't want the other girls to start hating me. "How long have you had this dance?"

"A week."

"Do the dance with Maddie right now please." Abby says gesturing for Gianna to turn on the music.

Maddie and I do the choreography together. Even though we haven't really danced together before we have good chemistry and our movements match. Sometimes our jumps aren't the same height since I'm shorter then her but other than that we almost look like the same person.

"You see that Kendall, you've both had the same choreography for a week and she knows the entire dance. And she knows Maddie's part as well. Please tell me how a new girl who's been here for a week is dancing with your duet partner better than you are."

"Abby that isn't fair. You can't just shove a new kid into her duet and expect her to perform like she usually does." Jill says angrily.

"Kendall has been partners with Maddie for years and Trinity has been here for a week. How isn't that fair?!" Abby replies fed up with Jill.