151 - Rebecca

I didn't know what happened when Mike started towards me. Everything besides him turned to slow motion. It was like a flip was switched as he was just running at human speed, whilst everyone else was slow. And everything just focused on him.

My blood started pumping faster, my heart pounded, and my adrenaline gave me the shock of a lifetime. He was right in front of me before long, and yet I felt powerful. I felt like I could defeat him and I didn't know why.

He reached for me but I reacted, grabbing his arm to lift it over his head and slipping beneath. I turned around in the process. My foot moved up to his neck then my hand wrapped around the back of his head and I threw him into the floor. He hit it with what seemed like a loud bang, and everything turned back to normal around me.

The shock of re-entering the fast world had me frozen, looking down at a Mike who I had taken down

The shock of re-entering the fast world had me frozen, looking down at a Mike who I had taken down... impossibly.

"Beck..." Tara breathed beside me, stunned into stillness just the same. "Do you... Do you know what just happened?" She asked, her voice faint. I glanced around at those watching me, which was everyone—even Colby and Kevin.

"Uh..." I didn't entirely reply. I felt a little dazed.

"You just moved in a blur. You're human! What the fuck?!" Tara yelled so loudly I thought the neighbours might have heard her. She was grabbing at my wrist, checking my pulse and leaning close enough to smell my blood. My mouth opened and closed again, but nothing came out. I didn't know what to say, after all. I mean, I didn't know what had happened, only that I saw Mike coming for me and it was like I had flipped a switch.

Amid the silence, everybody heard the footsteps in the hallway. We heard them walk down the stairs and through the house until the backdoor opened and my sister took a step out. She didn't take her eyes away from me the moment she saw me.

She sounded faint when she spoke. "What did you just say?" She asked, more to Tara than me, but she couldn't look away.

"Sh-She moved in a blur!" Tara exclaimed.

Angela's mouth opened but nothing came out. I noticed her hands had started to shake, causing Aryia to rush to her side. His presence made no difference, however, as Angela just continued to stare at me. I was still too dazed to get angry at her for not just spitting out what was clearly on her mind. What was it that she couldn't tell us?

Slowly, I regained myself. I straightened up and I frowned. "Angela, stop fucking staring at me like that," I growled, taking myself a little by surprise. Angela didn't stop. "Seriously."

"You..." Angela shook her head. "We need to talk. Now."

Before I could argue, my sister had a hold of my wrist and she was trying to drag me through the house. We only made it to the backdoor before I ripped my wrist from her grip. She stopped to glare at me, but I was done being controlled today. "Tell me now," I demanded.

"I can't just tell everyone here, Rebecca," Angela snapped.

She just used my full name and snapped at me. This wasn't my sister at all.

"Well, you're going to have to," I replied, crossing my arms over my chest. Angela's jaw set, her eyes flicking to who I could only guess was Colby over my shoulder. I hoped for the love of God that he was on my side with this, and I was too scared to turn around to check that he was.

Finally, after a few moments, Angela groaned. "I'm not telling you anything here. If you really wanna know, call Dad. He'll tell you everything. You might wanna tell him you're banging a vampire before you do, though. He isn't going to be happy." Angela glanced at Colby for definite now. "He's never liked your kind. Or any of her boys, either."

"Angela," I snapped but she ignored me. She looked hopefully at Aryia, who gave me an apologetic look before he darted at her. They disappeared right in front of my eyes, leaving me standing in the doorway confused.

I felt someone come up to me and turned to Colby, who gently took one of my hands. I quickly moved closer to him, frowning to myself.

"Are you gonna call your dad?" Tara asked quietly, staring after Angela and Aryia in shock. I thought they all were, besides Colby.

"If I want to keep having a somewhat living boyfriend, then no," I replied. Tara's eyes drifted to my face and she frowned. "Like Angela said, he's never liked boys to begin with, let alone one who bites me on the regular." I looked up at Colby. "I know for a fact he has stakes—I've seen them before. I never put the pieces together before, though."

Colby's jaw clenched. "Great." I smiled sadly at him.

"Do you think it's something important, what Angela wouldn't tell you?" Devyn, to my surprise, asked softly. I shrugged. "If it lets you do what you did to Mike, then maybe it is important."

I bit my lip in thought. There were still secrets in my family—there always had been. My dad never told me what he did on the weekends when he sometimes went missing, I never knew about what exactly Mom and Angela were doing—and definitely not that Mom was still doing it, and now I was keeping my vampire boyfriend from both of my parents. We weren't the kind of close family that sometimes I wanted. My mom and I were probably the closest, but I hadn't told her about Colby—at least, not about his fangs.

There was so much that had to happen. Angela and Dad needed to know about Mom, my parents had to find out about Colby, and now there was some sort of important thing that Angela and my dad knew I had to find out. I wondered if Mom knew, too.

Fuck sake.

Why did everything have to be so complicated?