4 - Sam

Familiar heeled boots thumped lightly through the hall as Tara slammed shut the front door. Jake leaped up, but she was already inside and against him a moment later, her arms around his neck as she kissed him hello. We were used to the sight and didn't say anything about it, continuing the various conversations around the room. I was tapping my hand against my leg, watching Katrina happily humming to the music blasting through the speakers. When Tara sat down, she looked defeated. Jake was holding all of her weight on top of him, which was effortless, because she was as light to us as he was. She blew out a breath, flicking a stray blonde strand from her face. Mike, in charge of the music, turned it down slightly, though we could all hear perfectly anyway.

"Is Colby here?" Tara asked, nodding her head to the ceiling. The whole red room was full except for his comfortable chair, which had been staring back temptingly at me.

I shook my head. "No, he's out on a job."

Tara did a head count.

"Alone," I confirmed.

She huffed and sat up, pulling Jake with her.

"Why do you ask?"

"I wanted to know if I could talk freely or not." She shrugged and started waving her hand in the air. I didn't understand why until a vaguely familiar scent wafted around the room. I frowned at her, watching as everyone caught onto it. They couldn't quite grasp how they recognised it. "Her name's Rebecca," she told us. "Met her in the mall today. A... happy coincidence."

"Met her in the mall? Who is she?" Jake asked.

Tara smiled more now. "Who do you think? I couldn't let a bitchy girl like that get away from me."

I flung upright in my seat, almost throwing Katrina off of me. She'd had a similar reaction, her entire body radiating worry and anger. "You're messing with Colby's-"

"You don't know what she is to him. Don't assume," Tara snapped. "She wasn't distracted all day, like she never saw him. I don't think that was anything."

Elton rolled his eyes. "Because you've felt a surge of power like that? Don't be stupid, Tara. Leave the girl alone."

"Why?" Tara asked, exasperated.

"Because you shouldn't be messing with any human! It's against our rules to start with."

Tara stared straight at Katrina.

"That's different."

She wailed, "How? Because everyone likes Katrina? Maybe you'd all like Rebecca too."

Mike scoffed and Tara turned her deathly gaze at him instead. Her hands clenched into fists. "I just wanted a friend, and she seems perfect. I've never glared at someone for so long before and I love it." Jake's face softened, but hardened when he caught my gaze. He looked at Tara warily now, and I knew exactly what he was thinking. Colby wouldn't stand for her breaking the rules; he'd punish her for it. If he could give me a punishment for hanging out with my One, he could give anyone a punishment.

"I'm going to see her again, no matter what you say. Or what Colby says. Or what he does. I like her. I think we're going to be close." She looked at Jake hopefully, but he glanced at me, sighing, and the hope turned into disappointment. "Try and stop me," she dared him, in an attempt to still look mad.

He didn't stop her, even as she stomped out of the room.