14 - Rebecca

What was I doing? At this point, I didn't even know. Something inside me was so glad when Tara called me that night, that when she invited me over — adding that it was a middle finger moment to Colby — I just agreed without question. I agreed and I changed for it, since I'd stayed in bed for half of the day. I chose a pair of black ripped jeans, a fishnet top with a cropped black hoodie, and ankle boots.

My thumb was through an intentional hole in the sleeve when I pulled up on the house's drive

My thumb was through an intentional hole in the sleeve when I pulled up on the house's drive. The red car I'd seen of Colby's sat where it had yesterday, and I was tempted to kick it before I even went inside. But as I didn't feel like dying just yet, I didn't. I'd give him a chance — just a small one — to clean up his act; I doubted he'd take it though and was planning ways to castrate him. My feet were purposely stomping on the ground as I walked up to the front door and opened it. Tara was already in the hall waiting, a big smirk on her face. I felt like I was seeing my partner in crime again after some sort of big job.

"Hey, Beck," she said, dropping the 'y' in her nickname. I didn't want to question it, though I was. She led me to the red room again, and I saw that it was full once more, including the big, comfortable chair that was obviously fit for only the biggest asshole of the house. But Colby wasn't looking at me, lying across his chair, legs hanging off one arm, staring at his phone. I saw his nostrils flare, though, and I had a feeling he was angry.

Others in the room, not so much. Kevin stood up from the couch like he had known me his whole life and strode over. He was about to hug me, I think, but I held a hand out to him, frowning.

"Don't come any closer or I'll kick you in the balls."

He grinned. "That's the reaction I wanted! Hi, Rebecca."

I was frowning more as he walked away back to the couch.

Tara sat down with Jake — on his lap — and Katrina moved toward another couch for me. She was smiling, offering the seat next to her. In any other situation, I would have snorted and walked off to find a different seat, but something told me that getting along with Colby's friends would piss him off more than being bitchy with them, so I walked over to sit next to her.

"Can I call you Becky?" she asked quietly. I stared at her for a moment, really wanting to say no.

"I fucking hate that nickname but whatever."

She smiled a little. "I'll try not to say it too often." Kiss ass, I thought.

Tara leaned across the arm of the couch to talk to me quietly. "What happened with that asshole Jax?" she asked, recalling a very short, very angry conversation we'd had recently.

"Nothing. I told him he's fucking fired if he sleeps at the studio again."

"Studio?" Katrina echoed, tuning into our conversation. "What studio?"

"My family's studio." I didn't hide the distaste in my voice. "I get money as long as I go there sometimes and boss people around." I grinned. "My kind of job."