124 - Colby

One last half-second of hesitation later, I flew from my place against the wall. I didn't need the others for this plan, but it helped that they were there, just in case things didn't go entirely well.

My first mission was James, though I had to get Blair away from Rebecca, too. So I killed two birds with one stone. I threw myself into James, knocking him across the room into Blair. They smacked against the wall and both groaned and growled at me as they recuperated. I zipped next to Rebecca, darting her over to the couch. She was still trying to breathe but she had enough control to grab my hand just before I went to leave.

I hesitated, glancing down at her to make sure she hadn't been hurt. That moment was all Blair needed to suddenly come towards me. Kevin intercepted her, crashing into the wall as James jumped up, too. Sam had rushed to Katrina and stood with Cassie protectively in front of her now. With no chance at her, James turned toward me. I regrettably pulled my hand from Rebecca's grip and ran at him as he came at me.

I was pretty sure I was older than him, more experienced, certainly stronger, and generally a better vampire. So when we collided, he went through the wall.

My body straightened, my face vamping out. A snarl left my throat before I knew I was going to snarl. My control my slipping; my anger bubbling up. The rush was a mixture of Rebecca's blood, adrenaline, and my feelings towards anyone touching my girlfriend. That was completely off of the table.

Just as I was about to step into the crevice James was lying in, I felt a familiar warmth wrap around my wrist and slide down to my palm. My eyes flickered down to the heat before they moved up to the gorgeous brown eyes staring back at me. I tried not to let myself process the dark marks on the same girl's neck as she lightly tugged at my hand. If I had a heart, it would be pounding.

Rebecca noticed my hesitation and she brought her other hand to the side of my face, twisting it completely to her. My vamp died down under her touch, my whole body just about melting. Fuck, I could have lost her today. I almost did and would have, if she didn't already know about vampires. I was lucky. She was lucky. We were all lucky.

Clearly, she had the same feelings because she used the grip on my face as leverage to kiss me. Just a sweet peck that I would have swooned over. She released all of her pent-up angry energy into me and I released it into her at the same time. A mutual exchange.

When she pulled back, my eyes were still closed but I could feel her still looking at me. Only once I had calmed down did I let myself see. She inclined her head towards the others. I clenched my jaw, wrapping an arm protectively around her waist before zipping over to everyone who was still tied up. Tara and Corey ran to hold down James, who'd been groaning and rolling around trying to recuperate. Cassie and Kevin held Blair to the wall.

Meanwhile, I released everyone else. They stretched their way onto their feet, bones cracking left right and centre. I still preferred that sound to the sound of Blair sending verbal abuse at us. Everything from, "we will kill you all," and, "you're going to regret this".

I was getting tired of listening to her voice, my whole body begging to go and kill her to shut her up once and for all. The only thing that stopped me was the beautiful woman clutched to my chest now.

"I'm serious, Colby, Rebecca. You have no idea who we have on our—"

Rebecca had had enough. "Shut the fuck up! Fuck sake."

"No, you—"

This time, Blair was cut off by Rebecca's stomps. She moved away from me, leaving only a warm spot on my body, then shoved Cassie to the side. She grabbed Blair's head and slammed it into the wall. "Do not fucking start with me about regrets, you whore. Tonight was my first showcase as a fucking designer and you ruined that for me. Not only that, but your bullshit assailant killed Jax, who I was just starting to get along with. You know what? I invited him to come with me. I was trying to give him his big break and now he has nothing but cold blood running through his veins. So you using him against me? Yeah, doesn't fucking work anymore.

"And you know what, bitch? I'm fucking working on my anger. Perhaps if you didn't take things so personally, you would still be alive and not about to bleed."

"I'm not—" before Blair could finish her sentence, Rebecca shocked everyone. She wrenched Blair's head to the side and bit her. Blair shrieked, pushing her away the best she could. Sam held her against the wall.

Rebecca pulled back and spit to the side. She snarled. "There. You're fucking bleeding."

My mouth was open and I only realised it when Rebecca stepped back and turned to look at me. There was a thin red strip dripping from her mouth that made her look oh so much like a vampire. My jeans got tighter and a low growl she wouldn't be able to hear rumbled in my throat. She was oblivious to my reaction, looking around everyone else now.

We all looked baffled.

"What?" She asked innocently, frowning. She knew exactly what, especially when she brought her hand up to her mouth and wiped away the blood before she licked it off. "I'm in love with a vampire, what the fuck do you expect?"

She had a- wait...what did she say?