156 - Rebecca

Colby woke up shortly after my plan was set. At first, his arms only tensed around me, but then he snuggled his face more into my hair and trapped my legs with his own. I smiled to myself, turning my head back so I could see him. He placed a swift kiss on my lips but then hid away again.

I giggled. "Why are you hiding from me?"

"Because," he replied, a smile in his voice.

"Gone shy?" I teased and he slapped my ass. I didn't know how, but he did, and I burst out laughing. I had to put my hand over my mouth to stop myself as I shuffled away from him only to twist around and tuck myself back into his embrace. He couldn't hide now, so he smiled—in that way that made me think he should be blushing—then wrapped his arms around me again.

I kissed his cheek, keeping eye contact with him even as I laid my head down. The flutters in my stomach were almost too much. "You seriously don't think you deserve me?" I asked softly, my voice quiet.

Colby smiled sadly at me now. "No, I don't deserve you yet. I'm changing, definitely, but I'm not there yet. I won't deserve you until I am a good man. I still need some time for that."

"You are a good man," I replied, frowning.

"Not yet," he insisted.

"You're a good man to me."

"But that's not being a good man, Becks. Just because I'm a good man to my One doesn't mean I am a good man—it just means I love my girlfriend." I grinned. "Which is definitely true."

"Mhm." I kissed him before shuffling away just enough to get coherent thoughts. "I don't care what you think of yourself, Colby, because I know you deserve me. You've deserved me ever since the day you came to get me at the office. That was the day you decided to fight for us, and now look what's come of it."

"I'm glad you think so, baby," Colby murmured, closing his eyes. I couldn't help but smile to myself as I watched him rest for a few moments. When he looked at me again, I saw the silver around the blue, and I knew that now, when we were happy and in love, was a good time to make my first next step.

"Colby," I said quietly, "I want to be a vampire." He tensed. "And I know that you won't like it, but I can promise you it's what I want. We both know once I make a decision, I've made a decision. And that's what I want."

"That's not what you want," he replied sharply, catching me off guard. I frowned at him. "That isn't what you want, Rebecca. You- Why would you want to be a vampire?"

"Because I know that's what I'm meant to be, Colby. I'm weak and vulnerable as a human, I don't care if I have a rare defensive gene against vampires. I'm still breakable and bruisable. I don't want that."

"What about when you one day want kids?" He challenged.

I rolled my eyes. "Have you forgotten that I'm with you, a vampire?" I paused. "And besides, that was never something I could have anyways."

He frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Ever noticed you've never seen me on my period? That's because I don't get one. I was born infertile." Colby's mouth opened and closed like a fish, but no words came out. I knew I looked hurt because I was. I didn't like to talk about that; I hadn't talked about that. I didn't think even my parents knew.

After a moment, Colby shook his head. "That still doesn't mean you want to be a vampire—or have any reason to be," he insisted.

"I'm going to keep ageing! That's enough for me. What will you do when I'm old, Colby? How old are you?"

"Twenty-"

"What age were you changed?" I corrected, glaring at him. He went silent. "Tell me. I want to know."