F O R T Y

SHOW ME;

Elle's pov

I followed Draco through the cold, endless corridors. Upstairs, and through more corridors. I honestly had no idea where he was bringing me. I had never really been to this part of the castle.

The walls were covered in paintings, the people's eyes seeking me as I passed them. I had been careful enough to the point Draco hadn't seen me, but I felt my heart begin to pulsate. I took deep breaths, my hands in fists as my feet kept on moving.

Suddenly, with Draco ahead of me, he turned a corner. I proceeded to wander, fastening my speed to not lose him. But, as I turned the corner, he was gone.

I came to a halt, looking around the corridor. I furrowed my brows, confused. Slowly, I took a few steps forward, looking down the other corridors. I released a shaky breath, crossing my arms. I leaned against a wall, looking down. It was stupid anyway—following Draco.

Why would I even do that? I shook my head, a few more thoughts of Draco flooding my mind before I stood up off the wall, walking forward. I took another sweep of the area, just to make sure, then I turned around and started to walk back. However; the sounds of stones colliding filled the corridor. I stood still, looking over my shoulder.

My eyes widened as I hesitantly turned around and walked over to the area I had just stopped at. There—in that spot—stood a tall iron door. As if it had magically appeared out of thin air.

Well, I wouldn't expect less from a place like Hogwarts.

I peered down the deserted corridors, the curiosity inside me swelling. With a deep breath, I came face to face with the door that sparked my inquisitiveness, looking it up and down, taking note of every small detail. I ran my hand down the firmness of the door, my fingertips dragging across the little indentations. The dark door began to slowly open to my appeal. I took a step back, gazing past the entrance and into the room it guarded.

With a deep breath, I contemplated my actions, and the effects on them. This was a room I have never seen or heard of, was it the wisest choice to enter it without thinking?

I decided to disobey the voice in the back of my head, which, was warning me to not conclude any further. I licked my lips, taking a few steps forward, the dark setting engulfing me. I took another deep breath, fully emerging myself to the contents of the odd room.

The room was very big, with huge piles of junk surrounding me every turn I took. I spun around, my eyes dragging around the room. It was cold, dry, and silent. I gulped, eyeing the few open paths where there was a space between the large stacks. I pulled out my wand, feeling the wood firmly against my palm.

I took my first step forward, slowly pursuing my little journey. I began to walk my way through the room. Going where I felt I should.

Even though I was in unfamiliar territory, I felt weirdly at peace. The stillness of the room, the solitude, it was a change of scenery. Because, even if everything seemed tame, it ultimately wasn't. The hecticness of it all; Draco, Snape, Ron. I just wish things were different. I hung my head low, peering down at my feet as I continued to wander aimlessly. But, I suddenly came to a stop, a small sound being heard.

A whimper.

My breath hitched in my throat, and I quickly closed my eyes, the grip on my wand tightening. I stared at the ground, worry building inside me.

I preceded the walk, but this time, with caution, and with an idea of where to go. Following the sounds, I passed many heaps. The breath in my lungs stopped, providing me with very little oxygen. I took deep, steady breaths, attempting to regain composure.