(1) The High School

From: Unknown Number
Y/N it's me nick I need something, I can't go cold turkey

Y/N sighed while looking down at her phone. She'd been clean for a year, but Nick didn't know that. They'd been best friends in high school, but when they were seniors he got into drugs. She eventually tried them too and it led to a year long addiction. Once she had finally reached rock bottom she got help, never looking back. Nick didn't want her help anyway. She knew that.

At least until now, anyway. Y/N had seen the news videos and the conspiracies circling online, yet she tried to ignore them. Only now she believed them slightly more because Nick certainly wouldn't have reached out to her for drugs. He was always the one getting them for her.

She tried to decide what to do, not knowing of any prescription dealers in the area. Plus, her phone wasn't working. The text from Nick was the last time she had service - she couldn't even text him back. After thinking long and hard she figured out where to go. She stood up from where she'd been sitting outside her apartment to head to her old high school. She knew that it had been a half day, and she also knew where they kept the drugs locked up. The one perk of your ex best friend's mom being a counselor.

The walk to the high school was peaceful. She knew a way to get there from her apartment that didn't involve any major highways or roads, and seeing as she didn't own a car it wasn't like she'd get there any other way. She heard plenty of commotion coming from the streets but she ignored it, her only focus being on making it to the high school safely. Soon she arrived and noticed a lone car parked in the parking lot, though she didn't recognize it.

The girl slowly crept through an open window on the first floor, and once she was inside she quietly walked through the hallways. She was heading to the evidence locker and praying the police hadn't come to collect it yet. Eventually she reached the room, breaking a window and reaching her hand inside to unlock it. Once the door was open she removed a crowbar she had snagged off of her neighbor from her jacket, going to wedge it into the crack of the locker.

Before she could start to pry it open, however, she heard someone say her name, causing her to turn around quickly and come face to face with none other than Nick's mom.

"What are you doing here?" Madison said, an urgent look on her face.

"Nick texted me," The younger girl said honestly. "He said he was going cold turkey and needed help."

Madison eyed the girl up and down, taking in her clean cut appearance. It was much different from the last time she'd seen her. "What about for you?"

"I'm clean," Y/N answered. "Have been for a year, but he doesn't know that. I tried to text him back but it wouldn't deliver. I just want to help."

Madison nodded, causing Y/N to realize that she was here for the same reason. Without exchanging another word the girl went back to prying the locker open. Once the door had begun to open she reached her hand inside, pulling out multiple bags of contraband. Finally, she reached in and pulled out a bag of OxyContin, fist pumping slightly in success. That caused an unimpressed look to form on the other woman's face but Y/N ignored it.

She then went to hand the bag over to Madison, who took it gratefully. Before Madison could walk out, though, Y/N spoke up again. "Can I have a ride? It's getting bad out there and I don't have a car."

Madison sighed, seemingly weighing her options. Eventually she agreed to give the girl a ride, and the two began to make their way back toward the 1st floor of the building. As they reached a breezeway Y/N saw her old principal standing there, though his back was turned to them. Madison quickly shoved the pills into Y/N's hoodie, causing the girl to raise her eyebrow slightly at the woman who was now approaching the principal.