(2) Follow

The next morning Y/N woke up to a searing pain in her shoulder. As bad as she wanted to take Oxycodone, she couldn't risk it. She sighed slightly while sitting up, smiling slightly at the sight of two ibuprofen and a glass of water on the table in front of her. She also noticed Liza sleeping on the floor near her, causing her to frown slightly. She quickly took the pills before walking over to Liza, waking her up by gently shaking her shoulders.

As the woman stirred awake Y/N smiled slightly. "Take the couch, I'm awake."

Liza smiled gratefully before moving to stand up. "How is your shoulder?" She said while walking over to the couch and taking a seat.

"Hurts," Y/N answered quietly. "But not as bad as it did."

Liza nodded while lying down. "You sure you don't want to take something stronger? It will help."

"Recovering addict," Y/N said with a laugh. "I should probably pass."

Liza nodded in understanding before closing her eyes, quickly drifting back off to sleep. Only after she was asleep did Y/N noticed a boy sleeping in the floor as well, causing her eyebrow to quirk up. She didn't know who he was, but he seemed a few years younger than her and was obviously Liza's kid.

Y/N walked out of the back room toward the kitchen, not expecting anyone to be awake yet. She soon realized she wasn't the only one awake, noticing Alicia in the kitchen as she walked in. Alicia ignored her presence, continuing to make her cup of coffee. Y/N walked past her, opening the fridge in search of something to eat. As she rummaged through the fridge she heard Alicia say something, causing her head to then toward the younger girl.

"I'm sorry for what I said," Alicia mumbled halfheartedly while pouring some milk into her mug. Y/N stared at her in confusion, prompting the girl to continue. "My mom told me about your parents after you went to sleep..."

"Oh," Y/N said while turning her head back toward the fridge. She grabbed a pack of blueberries before shutting the fridge, turning her attention back to Alicia. "It's whatever."

Alicia shook her head in disagreement. "It's not whatever, especially your response to what I said."

"If you knew what I've been through," Y/N started while popping a blueberry into her mouth. "You'd understand."

"You're talking about yesterday?"

Y/N shrugged. "For the most part."

"What happened, Y/N?" Alicia said quietly.

Y/N wasn't sure how to reply. She knew Madison didn't want her daughter to know, but she also knew Alicia couldn't stay protected forever. She'd seen the dead walking and attacking first hand, and soon she'd probably see it more. Still, the thought of admitting she killed someone out loud made her feel sick.

Y/N stared at the girl in silence before finally answering her question. "Someone attacked me and I fell down the stairs. Then they attacked your mom and I-i saved her."

"You killed them, didn't you?" She questioned the older girl.

Y/N moved to stare down at the counter, but she could feel Alicia's eyes on her. "He was already dead, Alicia."

"Doesn't change anything," Alicia mumbled before walking out of the kitchen, leaving Y/N alone.

Y/N continued to stare down at the counter, feeling a lone tear stream down her face. She quickly wiped it away before looking back up, grabbing a handful of berries and throwing the rest back into the fridge. She then walked to the back of the house, noticing Nick and the boy from earlier standing out in the yard. She went out to join them, finishing her food on the way.