(13) Willing

A few days had passed and Y/N was finally beginning to feel better. Alicia was true to her word and managed the older girls intake of medicine thoughtfully, to which Y/N was grateful. She hadn't found herself wanting more, and Y/N knew it was partially because she really didn't want to disappoint Alicia or anyone else on the boat.

They'd docked at a random island for a night that was thankfully abandoned...well, not abandoned but the people there weren't exactly alive anymore. Strand had been mapping out his moves, and everyone still thought they were all headed to San Diego. Y/N continued to try talking him out of it, but the older man would not budge. She knew she had to tell Alicia, but at this point she wasn't sure what good it would do.

Y/N was currently laying in her and Alicia's shared bed, watching a movie on a laptop they'd brought on board. She wasn't entirely sure where Alicia was, but the girl had mentioned going to speak with her mom.

Right as Y/N was closing the laptop, having finished her movie, Alicia stormed into the bedroom.

"You knew, didn't you?" Alicia exclaimed angrily, causing Y/N to stare at her in confusion. "Don't play dumb with me, Y/N! You knew that you and Strand were going to Mexico and that he was just going to abandon us in San Diego."

Y/N's eyes widened as Alicia said this, and she quickly moved to stand up. As she got closer to Alicia she could see the girl's face was red with anger.

Y/N gulped slightly before responding. "I told Strand I wasn't going with him if he wasn't taking everyone, Alicia..."

"BULLSHIT!" Alicia yelled. "Was this all just a game? Make me trust you so I'd get off the boat, and then just leave me behind?"

"What?" Y/N questioned, her heart dropping to her stomach as she heard Alicia's words. "None of this is a game to me! I genuinely care about you and want to be with you. I don't know how you found out about this, but the reason I didn't tell you was because no matter what happened I was staying wherever you went!"

Alicia shook her head in denial. "No, you're lying to me!"

"Why would I lie if you already know the truth about Mexico? I didn't even know Strand was still alive the first time we kissed!" Y/N was desperately trying to make Alicia believe her. She knew not telling Alicia the truth immediately was a mistake, but she didn't realize this was the conclusion Alicia would come to. "The other night when Strand and I were arguing...we were arguing because I told him I refused to leave you behind. He was upset I didn't want to go to Mexico with him if it meant not being with you anymore."

Alicia's facial features softened at Y/N's words, but the older girl knew she was still upset. Y/N took a chance and walked closer to the girl, thankful Alicia didn't pull away when Y/N took ahold of her hands.

"Alicia, I told Strand that if he didn't take everyone then I wasn't going...the reason I didn't tell you yet was because I've been trying to figure out how to get everyone into Mexico," Alicia was staring into Y/N's eyes as the y/h/c girl spoke, searching for any signs that she was lying. "I thought if I figured it out then we could avoid everyone being upset. I wanted to avoid you thinking that I was willing to leave you behind."

Alicia nodded slightly, but she still seemed to be upset about the whole conversation. "I believe you but you should have told me sooner...how am I supposed to trust you, Y/N?"

Y/N teared up as Alicia said this. The last thing she wanted was to lose the younger girl's trust, and the thought of doing so broke her heart. She was also frustrated with herself, which only caused the tears to continue forming, though she tried to keep them from falling.