chapter 052

Biology was the class where Edward would do it. He was going to say that they couldn't be friends. After that, it was Bella's decision.

Alex felt jitters in her stomach, this was exciting. It wasn't that she was a hateful person persay, it was the fact that it would get distance between Bella and the supernatural.

"Bella." He had looked over to Alex before turning to his desk partner.

"What.. so you're talking to me?"

"No, not really." Alex chuckles at the obvious lie.

"What do you want Edward?"

"Forgive me. I've been rude. I know. But it's better like this, believe me." He was telling the truth, it was better this way.

"I don't understand." A confused frown appears on Bella's face as she looks around, hoping that somehow someone might hear this strange conversation.

"It's better if we're not friends. Believe me."

"To bad that you didn't think about that before." She mutters. "Than you could've saved yourself the regret."

"Regret?" He furrows his eyebrow. "Of what?"

"That you didn't let the van squash me." Alex looks at them surprised, this was not the way that she thought this conversation would go.

"You think I regret saving your life?!" He snarls and Alex tightens her jaw.

"Edward." She whispers dangerously low.

"I know you are."

"You know nothing." He mutters towards the human girl. Bella looks over to him and Alex could imagine what kind of things would be going through that mind of hers. Bella sighs and stands up, grabs her books and walks out. Her foot catches behind something and her books sprawl unto the floor. Alex' eyes widen and she hurries towards the doorway, only to see that Edward was already helping her.

"Thanks." Bella's voice is scarily cold. She stands back up and a wave of her scent makes its way to Alex. A sudden thirst burns in her throat.

"You're welcome." Edward replies and watches her as she walks away. He turns back towards Alex, hoping that she'd be some sort of proud of him. "Alex.." He looks at the young woman and pushes her back into the classroom. "Calm down." Her black eyes dart towards him and he sits her down. "Take a deep breath." He squats down in front of her and tries to keep her focus on him. "Should I get Jasper?" She frowns and shakes her head.

"No, I don't want him to have the hunger." She stands up and sighs. "I'm going to Sam's. I promised to help him anyway."

**

Sam wasn't entirely surprised to see Alex appear in the middle of the day. He had heard about the rough weeks she had and Peter had predicted this.

"Hello." She waves at the wolf and he lazily lifts his arm as a reaction, looking around at the rest of the young wolves. They were roughing each other up before Sam - and now apparantly also Alex - were going to train with them.

"Long time no see." He responds and Alex chuckles. This was true. After her trip for the Volturi and finding out that she had one more left and getting together with Jasper, things had been hectic and confusing. But here she was, ready to help him live yet another day.

**

"Hey." Alex looks up from her thoughts and Jasper sees the immediate smile that appears on Alex' face. Just being around him had a positive effect on the woman.

Being with Sam and wolfing around had made her feel better, letting the other side of her get bigger and better while letting the vampire side of her being slightly subdued.

"Hey yourself." She skips over to him and takes her place underneath his stretched out arm. "How was school?"

He shrugs and kisses the top of her head. "Boring as always. How were the Quilette's?" She shrugs and smiles.

"They're okay. Sam is doing really well." She looks up while they walk towards her house. "You okay?" He nods and purses his lips lightly.

Jasper didn't want to intrude on her life, tell her that he didn't want her to be around the wolves to much. He knew that she was part wolf and could defend herself better than he probably could. But he couldn't help her when she was over there. It was something that did bother him. "Yeah, just missed you."

"Heard what happened." Alex notices the stiffness as he sits down and doesn't let her lean into him as they usually do. There was something going on. "Are you alright now?"

She nods and sighs. "Just hard sometimes. You'd know better than me." A slight shrug of her shoulders and Jasper chuckles. He did. He knew exactly how she felt. He felt it when she'd gone away from school and Peter was in one of his sessions, far away from the school. It was as if he had learned nothing again.

"But you regained control." She nods happily and turns her head, gazing at the beautiful man that is holding her.

"Thanks to Edward."

"Why didn't you tell me." He suddenly asks and Alex feels his discomfort coming back once again. She knew that it wasn't jealousy, they trusted one another completely. There was something else, something he was covering up. It is his right to tell her whenever he feels up to it.

"I didn't want you to worry." He opens his mouth to go against whatever she is saying. "AND I don't want to figure out how you'd feel if the one that is helping your bloodlust is suddenly overly into blood." He shakes his head and she turns around and sits on her knees. "I didn't give myself enough time to think everything through but I just wanted to protect you and-.." she stops talking and closes her eyes as Jasper kisses her softly, gently putting one hand on her cheek and the other on her back, pulling her closer. She topples over onto him and laughs softly. "What was that for?"

"Do I have to have a reason to kiss my girlfriend?" He frowns slightly as the words sound teasing.

"Well not necessarily, but you do when it's like that." He pulls her closer and pecks her lips once more.

"It's because I love you."