chapter 98

Carlisle places the last of the bloodbags in fridge and looks around the room.

"So, that's the last of it?" Jacob asks and Carlisle nods.

"Bella could deliver as early as tomorrow. If she's going to have any chance at all, she'll need more blood."

"And you need to feed." Esme kindly places a hand on her husband's arm. "You have to be at your strongest for her. We need to go tonight."

"Carlisle, you're the enemy now. Sam won't hesitate. You will be slaughtered." Jacob mutters, he didn't want Bella to hear.

"Emmett will come with us."

"That won't be enough." He looks over to Alex but Esme shakes her head.

"She will be able to protect Bella and the baby."

"We have no choice, Jacob. If there's anything we can do to save her, we have to try."

Jacob narrows his eyes at the two parents of the Cullen clan. "You'd risk your lives for her?"

"Of course we would. Bella's a part of our family now."

"Yeah. I can see that." Jacob looks around the room. "This really is a family. As strong as the one I was born into. I know what I have to do."

Alex listens as she sees Jacob walking into the woods and hears him walking toward territory lines.

"Jake! They're coming." Seth warns.

"I know."

"We should phase, Jacob. We can't protect ourselves like this."

"They'll see it as a threat. I wanna talk! Be easier if I could hear you, too." He spits and a few of them turn into humans.

"This isn't your territory anymore. How's the new family working out?" Paul remarks and Alex could imagine the eye roll that Jacob gives him.

"You done?"

"You coming home, Jake?" Quill asks.

"Not until I finish this."

"What do you mean?"

Jacob sighs. "I want Sam to take back Leah and Seth."

"What?"

"No way!" Leah and Seth say at the same time.

"Quiet!" Jacob speaks to Sam's pack again. "I want them safe. And I want this over. I need Sam to wait until Bella's been separated from the problem."

"You mean till she's dead."

"Ease up, Paul." Embry says and Paul huffs.

"Then what?"

"Tell Sam that when the moment comes, I'll be the one to destroy it." Alex narrows her eyes. This wasn't part of the deal. Should she tell the others? Edward would read his mind as soon as Jacob returns so no, she didn't have to tell them.

"Jake!" Seth sounds upset.

"I'm the only one who can. They trust me."

Jacob returns and while he had his conversation, Carlisle, Esme and Emmett left the premises.

"Hey. Are you okay?"

Jacob looks at Bella. "Yeah, it's not like I'm the one carrying a demon."

"This is pretty important, Bella. Why don't you tell Jacob what you've decided?" Jacob raises an eyebrow at Rosalie's voice.

"What now?"

"Rose is trying to talk Bella out of her baby names." Edward says and he gives Rosalie a look.