chapter 79

There was a family gathering in the Cullen household and Alex did not want to be included, but she was. Bella had called the meeting and she didn't like the woman. Not anymore.

"You all know what Edward wants. And you know what I want. But I won't force myself on you." Everyone surrounds Bella and though she normally would be uneasy, she's standing strong. The house has been restored to it's original warmth and beauty. Edward sits off to the side as Bella addresses them. "I think the only fair way to handle this is by vote-.."

"You can't be serious-.."

"This is my meeting, Edward." Bella says firmly. Edward obviously frustrated, sits back. Alex tries to hold back a smile, he could do with a forceful woman. Bella faces the family again. "However this turns out, I'm not letting the Volturi hurt you. I'll go back to Italy alone-.."

"The hell you will. I'm not missing another fight." He quickly glances over towards Alex but either she didn't hear his comment or she just chooses to ignore it.

"That's not up for a vote, Emmett. I don't want you involved."

"We've always been involved, honey, and we're not going to stop-.." Esme replies to Bella who holds up her hands.

"No, please. I want you to seriously think about this. If I join you, you'll be stuck with me for a long time - forever. It's a huge decision. And I want.. I need your honesty here." They nod or otherwise communicate agreement. "Then let's take a vote... Alice?" Alice jumps up and hugs Bella.

"Like you're not already my sister. Of course, yes!" Bella smiles. Jasper rises, but keeps his distance.

"I vote yes. It'll be a relief not to want to kill you." Alex squeezes his hand. Though she made it easier, he still had trouble with it.

"Um. Thanks?" She turns to Alex who slightly glares at her. "Alex?"

"No." She simply says and she sees Bella's face deflate slightly. She had hoped on Alex' vote but she didn't know her reasoning. And Alex felt like she had a big one. "Okay, Rosalie?" Rosalie, torn, looks at Edward who's stony toward her.

"Edward, I'm sorry for what I did. I really am. And I know you're not ready to forgive me..." Rosalie turns to Bella. "But this isn't the life I'd have chosen for myself. I wish there'd been someone to vote no for me..." Rosalie exchanges a glance with Carlisle - "then... So no." Bella takes it stoically but nods. Emmett bounds over and lifts Bella into a bear hug.

"I vote hell yeah. We can pick a fight with these Volturi some other way." Alex tries her best not to grimace at the mention of the Volturi every other second. Esme approaches and embraces Bella warmly.

"I already think of you as part of the family. Yes."

"Thank you, Esme." Everyone sees Carlisle move but not to Bella, but towards Edward.

"Edward-..' He starts but he is interrupted by an angry Edward.

"You can't go along with this, Carlisle, you know what it means."

"You've chosen not to live without her, which leaves me no choice. I won't lose my son." Carlisle to Bella. "But Alice has never turned anyone. It'd be safer if I did it-.." The front door suddenly slams. Edward's gone. Bella blanches but turns to the family.

"Thank you. Thank you all." She walks out the door and Alex breathes out. A breath she did not know that she was holding.

"Do you always have family meetings?" She asks and Jasper chuckles and shakes his head.

"We don't." Alice says. "But the occasional get together if I had a strange vision or if there is something wrong." Alex hums. She had a feeling that that was going to happen a lot in the near future. "So.." Alex raises an eyebrow. "What about the wedding planning?"

"Alice." Rosalie's voice a little angry but Alex shakes her head at the woman.

"We decided to postpone." Jasper tells his sister. "We have all the time in the world." He kisses the top of Alex' hand and Alice nods in understanding. She would love to help with the arrangements, but she knew that her soon to be sister-in-law needed the time. "Shall we go?" He asks Alex who nods.

"Where to?" Rosalie knew that they weren't going to the Spure house. Alex had not been there since the funeral.

"Hunting." She says with a sly smile. "We have a bet."

"I missed this you know." She looks at him with a raised eyebrow. They were in his room, cuddling on his bed.

"Hunting animals together?" He shakes his head at the question.

"Just being together." She smiles at him. She did too. Even though they saw one another often when he was away, it was not enough.

"What more did you miss?" He looks over at her with a loving gaze.

"The sleepy look you have when you wake up." She chuckles and looks down out of habit. "The look on your face when you know I'm right." She scoffs.

"When you think you're right." She betters him at which he laughs.

"Let's keep it at that."