An Alternative Sacrifice

"Uh, guys?" Percy asked unsurely as he was lifted off his feet. "I don't think they're supposed to do this!" He called as he was slowly pulled, almost tempted, though still physically moved towards the gaping black hole.

"They aren't," Grover said darkly, though Annabeth mistook it for fear.

"Percy!" Annabeth called worriedly. She was not yet too attatched to the son of Poseidon, but she could still see that he was majorly different from his ancestors.

Launching herself fowards, Annabeth managed to grab Percy's outstretched arm, Grover grabbing the other one. They were slowly pulling him back.

"Take off the shoes!" Percy screamed. Annabeth fumbled with the left shoe's lace, her hand being slapped by the ever-beating wings.

Grover fiddled with the right lace, 'accidentally' double knotting the shoe.

"Grover!" Annabeth yelled, holding the left shoe, "Sever the lace!"

"Oh! Oh, right!" Grover remembered, taking his sweet time to get his knife out.

Until the last shoe made one final tug and Percy slipped from Grover's hand.

"Grover!" Percy shouted as he was yanked towards Tartarus. At the last moment, Annabeth threw her knife in a moment of pure instinct and cut the lace, allowing Percy to throw the shoe off, allowing it to finally fly into Tartarus.

All three panted, tired from the ordeal.

"Tartarus must have tried to abduct you," Grover concluded.

Percy nodded his head in thanks.

Grover grumbled, "Let's just go."

Annabeth sighed in agreement, "Come on let's keep moving."

The trio started to continue their way to Hades palace still a bit shaken up from the ordeal.

As they made their way to the palace, they started discussing what the prophecy meant.

"Well it's clear what the beginning means but the thing that scares me is the line you shall be betrayed by the one you call friend." Annabeth worriedly said.

"Well it could be Medusa or Echidna, they pretended to be our friend or even the Loris Casino. They were all friendly to us but soon betrayed us in the end." Percy shared. "What do you think Grover?"

"Uhh, wait look, that's Hades' palace!" Grover pointed to a huge form ahead of them as he tried to change the subject.

The trio looked ahead and smiled- their quest was almost finished. They could finally return to their family and friends.

Suddenly, a figure dropped from the sky, revealed to be Alecto one of the furies.

"Three demigods come to die!" Alecto snarled, baring her fangs in a threatening manner as the three demigods flinched.

"Take us to your master!" Annabeth ordered. "There he can judge us to live or die!" She bargained.

"Very well, Athena spawn!" Alecto hissed and encircled them, using her talons to pick up a whimpering Grover, an apprehensive Annbeth, and a determined Percy.

Alecto soared through the air, her wings cutting through the polluted air of the Underworld, searing the winds.

It would have almost looked majestic if she was not holding three children in her talons.

When she finally arrived at Hades' palace, she wasted no time, landing directly in front of Hades' throne.

"These three demigods wish to be judged," Alecto snarled, shoving them in front of Hades, who looked interested.