30. Department of Mysteries

You were walking along the cool, dark corridor to the Department of Mysteries again, walking with a firm and purposeful tread, breaking occasionally into a run, determined to reach your destination at last... the black door swung open for you as usual, and here you were in the circular room with its many doors...

Straight across the stone floor and through the second door... patches of dancing light on the walls and floor and that odd mechanical clicking, but no time to explore, you must hurry... You jogged the last few feet to the third door, which swung open just like the others... Once again you were in the cathedral-sized room full of shelves and glass spheres...

Your heart was beating very fast now... you were going to get there this time... when you reached number ninety seven you turned left and hurried along the aisle between two rows...

But there was a shape on the floor at the very end, a black shape moving on the floor like a wounded animal... Your stomach contracted with fear... with excitement...

A voice issued from his own mouth, a high, cold voice empty of any human kindness...

"Take it for me... lift it down, now... I cannot touch it... but you can"

The black shape on the floor shifted a little. You saw a long-fingered white hand clutching a wand rise at the end of his own arm... heard the high, cold voice say "Crucio!"

The man on the floor let out a scream of pain, attempted to stand but fell back, writhing. The man was laughing. He raised his wand, the curse lifted and the figure groaned and became motionless.

"Lord Voldemort is waiting"

Very slowly, his arms trembling, the man on the ground raised his shoulders a few inches and lifted his head. His face was bloodstained and gaunt, twisted in pain yet rigid with defiance...

"You'll have to kill me," whispered Sirius.

"Undoubtedly I shall in the end," said the cold voice. "But you will fetch it for me first, Black... you think you have felt pain thus far? Think again... we have hours ahead of us and nobody to hear you scream..."

But somebody screamed as Voldemort lowered his wand again; somebody yelled and fell sideways off a hot desk on to the cold stone floor; you awoke as you hit the ground, still yelling, your sides burning up especially your hand, as your dorm room erupted all around you.

You felt frightened, Voldemort has your father but there was nobody to tell; the twins had left, Dumbledore was nowhere to be seen, couldn't trust Umbridge- wait, Harry! Of course! He must have seen it too, maybe?

Without second thought, your feet started moving outside your dorm room. You heard Harry's voice from the common room and Ron and Hermione trying to calm him down.

You were running again, pushing everything out of the way, ans you saw them hurrying towards you.

"(Y/n)!" said Hermione at once, looking very frightened. "What happened? Are you all right? Are you ill?"

"Where have you been?" demanded Ron.

"Voldemort's got Sirius." You and Harry said in unison.

"What? You saw it too?" Harry asked confused

"How d'you -?" Ron looked at you strangely.

"Just now, while I was taking a nap. You?" You turned towards Harry.

"Saw it. Just now. When I fell asleep in the exam."

"But - but where? How?" said Hermione, whose face was white.