45. The End

You lay in a bright mist, though it was not like mist you had ever experienced before. Your surroundings were not hidden by cloudy vapor; rather the cloudy vapor had not yet formed into surroundings. The floor on which you lay seemed to be white, neither warm nor cold, but simply there, a flat, blank something on which to be.

"(Y/n)" Regulus spread his arms wide, and his hands were both whole and white and undamaged. "You wonderful young woman. You brave, brave girl."

Stunned, you asked, "Regulus?"

He smiled, "My dearest niece, welcome."

"What are you doing here? You're dead," you said.

"Oh yes," said Regulus matter-of-factly.

"Then... I'm dead too?"

"Ah," said Regulus, smiling still more broadly. "That is the question, isn't it? On the whole, I think not."

You looked at each other, Regulus still beaming.

"Not?" You repeated.

"Not," said Regulus.

"But... But I should have died - I didn't defend myself! I meant to let that wall kill me!"

"And that," said Dumbledore, "will, I think, have made all the difference."

Happiness seemed to radiate from Regulus like light, like fire: you had never seen the man so utterly, so palpably content. It was good.

"Explain," you said.

"But you already know," said Regulus. He twiddled his thumbs together.

"I let him kill me," you said. "Didn't I?"

"You did," said Regulus, nodding. "Go on!"

"So, it doesn't make sense!" You said confused, "Why am I alive?"

"You remember the necklace I gave you?" He asked, you nodded, "It protected you, just like Lily Potter had done with Harry."

"But— but in that case, it was a mother's love that protected Harry when he was a baby." Your eyes widened, "Where is dad?"

Regulus shrugged, "I don't know. He never arrived here." Your expression went from a shocked one to a sad one. "But all will be well, my dear." His hand touched your shoulder gently.

"Tell me one last thing," you said. "Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

Regulus beamed at you, and his voice sounded loud and strong in your ears.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, (Y/n), but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

You nodded, "Thank you, Regulus, for everything." You hugged him, and he took a second to hug you back. "Now, what do we do?" You said while backing away.

"You'll return back." Your eyes widened, "Yes, you will. You're not dead, like you think you are."

"What's that supposed to mean?" You asked.

"You'll understand in time." Regulus said, tears forming in his eyes, "Goodbye for now, my dearest."

You smiled "Goodbye, Reg—"

Suddenly, you felt everything come back to you and to your body. Your heart started beating and your limbs— even if they felt numb— started having blood running through them again. You felt...alive. And apparently, you had missed a lot while you were away. Everyone was fighting in the Great Hall, except for Fred. He was sitting by your side looking down and crying.

"I'm—I'm s-so sorry, my love." He cried, and your heart ripped into millions of pieces. You squeezed his hand lightly, and he stopped crying, quickly moving his head up to see you smiling at him.

"Hey, Freddie..." You said in a low voice, still smiling.

Fred, without a thought, grabbed your body and hugged it tightly, kissing you everywhere on your face and neck.

"Oh Merlin— Y-you're alright! You're alive!" Said Fred excited, cupping your face with one hand and kissing you on the lips.

"Yes," you chucked, "I am, Freddie."

"But how?" Fred asked "I saw you dying."

"I don't know, unfortunately." You looked around. Mrs. Weasley was duelling Bellatrix Lestrange, others fighting off Dementors. On your left, you saw Lavender Brown's body, as well as Colin Creevey's. You were shocked. It felt like Cedric's death all over again, but a thousand times worse.

You quickly turned on your right and saw Tonks, helping Remus with his leg, who he seemed to had almost lost in his fight with Dolohov.

"Remus? Tonks?" You said, a few tears running down your face but still smiling.

They looked at you and were shocked.

"(Y/n)..." Said Tonks.

"You're alive?!" Asked Remus, more than happy to have his niece back. You nodded, chuckling slightly.

The sun rose steadily over Hogwarts, and the Great Hall blazed with life and light. You were an indispensable part of the mingled outpourings of jubilation and mourning, of grief and celebration. At that very moment Kingsley Shacklebolt had been named temporary Minister of Magic.

"(Y/n)!?" Said the golden trio, George and Lee in shock.

"She's alive!" Bill said loudly for his family to hear.

The Weasley family turned their heads and saw you standing up with the help of Fred. Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Weasley rushed to you and hugged you tightly, happy that you were back.

"(Y/n)...my dearest (Y/n)!" Said Mrs. Weasley happily. "My daughter..." She whispered the last part, only you were able to hear that.

"I love you, Molly." You whispered and hugged her back even tighter. Mrs. Weasley said it back and you wiped each other's tears.

After Mr. and Mrs. Weasley pulled back, the golden trio ran to you and hugged you even tighter, making you giggle.

"Don't you ever do that again." Said Hermione in a serious tone.

"I'll try—"

"Don't say that, please!" Begged Ron.

"Good job, Harry." You said to Harry, making him smile widely.

———

You and the golden trio were standing on the Hogwarts bridge looking at the scenery. Harry had just broken the Elder Wand which made you upset but you knew it was for the better.

"I really want to go on vacation after this." Said Ron, moving his arm around Hermione's waist, holding her tightly.

"Me too." You said, looking down.

The moment you looked up, you saw a person on the other side of the bridge. He looked... familiar. Way too familiar to be exact.

"Uhm, guys?" You pointed at the man. "Who's that?" The man started approaching, revealing long wavy hair and a small beard. He was skinny and he was also limping slightly.

And that's when it hit you...your dad, Sirius, was alive and coming to your way.

"Sirius?!" Asked Harry shocked and with his help, you both ran towards him and hugging him tightly, the three of you having tears in your eyes.

"Harry... My (Y/n)..." Said Sirius holding you both close to him

"B-but how?" You asked him, "They said it's impossible."

"We also said that killing Voldemort was impossible...look at us now." Sirius smiled, that fatherly and sweet smile he gave you every time he looked at you.

Everything was perfect. You had your dad back, Voldemort was defeated and everyone you loved was okay. You could finally live in peace.