fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Patrick

~

Levi's Point Of View

Benjamin's parents cleared the room to go get coffee after I decided I would stay.

It's been ten minutes since then, and Benjamin hasn't said one word.

I kept glancing over to Benjamin's brother, who was sleeping on his bed. I can't say his face did not scare me. I couldn't even tell if the boy had an actual nose. It just looked like two breathing holes in the center of his face. If you could even, call what he has a face.

"Okay, you can stop staring at him," Benjamin said from the hospital chair closest to his brother's bed. I tore my eyes away from his brother to look down at Benjamin. He had a small smile on his face, but his eyes held a slight annoyance to them. I knew it bothered him that I was staring at Patrick like he was a freak of nature. Though, that isn't actually untrue.

"I haven't seen a person this deformed before," I stated looking back up at Patrick for a second. I didn't really care if my statement offended Benjamin. It was true. He didn't have very much hair at the looks of it. If he did, it would probably be a dark brown like the rest of his family.

"You know he might be awake, and uhm, he doesn't like to hear about his obvious physical appearance." Benjamin nodded over to Patrick seeming nervous about something.

"I don't think he is awake, and I don't think you think that either," I looked over to Benjamin, and he glanced back with sad eyes.

Benjamin didn't reply to that. He just stared back at his brother.

"So, now I have met your family, and I can say that they have redeemable qualities," I break through the sudden tension Benjamin put up.

Benjamin got up from my lap and laughed a little. "You haven't even met my brother, not really at least." He walked over to Patrick's bedside table and picked up a sandwich that had been sitting there for who knows how long. He broke it into very two uneven pieces, giving me 2 thirds of the sub, and he got the rest.

He took a very little bite and cleared his throat. "So, about what you wanted to know-,"

"Everything. I want to know everything," I interrupted him. I just wanted to cut to the chase, after spending ten minutes staring at some messed-up-looking kid. I just want to know about Benjamin. I was just curious about him.

I need to know about him. He was just mysterious in the most unassuming way. He seemed so innocent and boring. Boring as in no good stories to tell, but he is very interesting to be around. He's just so naive, and everything is always new to him.

It makes me mad that I want to know so much about him. I have never cared about anyone this much before, it's fucking annoying. It messes with my head too much.

"Everything is a lot of words and pointlessness," Benjamin shrugged, taking a small bite of his sandwich.

"I don't think it would be pointless, I like to have answers. I want to know Benjamin. I mean, I took you across the country, for some reason, just trying to appease you," I argued while putting my part of the sub onto another table closer to the door that I was standing near.

"The word appease reminds me of Hitler," Benjamin said plainly while taking another bite of his sub, "Father was teaching me about World War Two, and told me that everyone appeased to Hitler's will until it was too late. Maybe don't do things to appease me, but of your own free will."

That was oddly the wisest thing that has ever come out of his mouth. I often question if he was self-aware of his actions as a way of manipulation, or if he truly did not know how he made me react to him. These words make him sit on the line in between the two.