nine

Chapter 9

Life's A Drag

~
Benjamin's POV

Working for Mr. Porter is different than I thought it would be. I thought that it would be hard and unbearable, but it's quite the opposite.

I mean, I jump 5,000 feet in the air every time the phone starts ringing, but it's actually a fun job.

Though, I never really see anyone outside of this floor. It's just me and Mr. Porter up here. I know the young woman who runs the front desk, Megan, but I think, she thinks I'm into her.

I mean, um, she's really pretty with her long black hair and structured face, but, um, women scare me.

I mean, not all women, but kind of, like all the ones I have met here have so much confidence and flair, I feel like I can't compete with their strong and eloquent ways. 

I had just got done with this very long day.

Mr. Porter had scared me very much with him calling me, and his appointment with the scary-looking men.

Then the thought of when I embarrassed myself came to my mind. I can't believe I asked him, if tonight was going to be a date! He probably thinks I'm crazy or something. I mean, um, Mr. Porter probably wants a girl. I mean, I don't really know what his preference is, but even if he liked males, he would probably want a guy who can stand up for himself and isn't afraid of everyone.

Not like I'm afraid of everyone, just most people.

I had just got done with the ridiculously long elevator ride. It has to be like ten minutes long, and that's if nobody stops the elevator, when you are in there.

I didn't know until yesterday, that this is the fifth tallest building in America. That's why I don't look out the window, or people in the eyes.

I exited the lobby and entered the cold outside. I had to walk to my home today. I have always taken the bus from Porter Enterprises, but I forgot my bus card upstairs in my desk drawer.

I wouldn't go back up that elevator to save my life. I already have to take it four times a day. Two of the times, I only do it because Mr. Porter wants lunch. It makes me mad that he doesn't just ask somebody to bring it up.

Oh well, I'm not in charge.

My home wasn't too far away when I heard some insistent honking on the street aside from me. I looked over to see Abel waving at me like a mad man in some nice silver car.

I gave Abel a slight nod and went on my way, but the honking came back.

I looked back at the car to see Abel giving me a grumpy face. Oh, goodness.

I finally stopped walking, and I went back a few steps and stood in front of his car, which pulled into a parking spot.

Abel rolled down his window with a big ole grin on his face, "Well, fancy meeting you here." Then he winked. Oh my dear.

"Uh, well, since we're in a scary part of the city, it's, um, not too fancy by any means." I was trying to sound all cool and sarcastic, but I bet I sounded like a scared toucan.

Abel's face flooded with amusement, and he threw his head back and laughed, "Ah, you're such a little cutie, Benjamin. I meant, what a coincidence. Even though, it's really not since I followed you from work."

"Oh, well I got to go home. Mr. Porter is taking me to a meeting tonight, and I have to get dressed." I gave him a slight nod, turned around and started to walk away.