fifteen

Chapter 16

Realization

~

Benjamin's POV

I had just been called into Mr. Polek's office. He has been my boss for about six months now, and he has never complained about anything I've done. I like to think that Mr. Porter gave me a better work ethic. 

Although working for Mr. Polek was very different. Maybe it is because I never thought I would work in my hometown, but it was a lot less stressful than Mr. Porter's office. 

I haven't really talked to him in a while, but that's okay. 

Cuz, I got to kiss him. 

I know a lot of people got to kiss Mr. Porter, as seen on the gossips sites I tend to frequent a tad bit more, but I know he likes me. Though, he has not called me in almost three months. 

I dunno, I try not to think about him, but it is really super hard. I know he is a busy man, and I was just some twink (Abel has been teaching me some vocabulary) he picked out of a coffee shop. I know though, that if I were to call him, he would pick up. 

I just wished he would call first. 

I walked into Mr. Polek's small office that was part of the underground parking garage for our guests. It wasn't a very large hotel, but it was very nice. Our island had recently been on TV for being so small and homey, and it was spring break, so we had a lot of visitor's which was strangely nice.

Patrick had been allowed out of the hospital for a couple of days that week and we stayed in this hotel because I got a discount for working here. 

That was the first time he was really out of the house or hospital. He loved it so much. He said he wanted to go swimming, but it was too cold. Next time we come, we are going swimming. We mostly cruised Main Street, because Mr. Porter bought him this really cool wheelchair that was like a video game! Momma's insurance was never ever able to cover such a chair, and Patrick was super into it. 

I also learned a lot from Patrick. He liked to tell me things he learned from the internet, he said if I used it as he did, I would be corrupt, too. I do understand that he is eleven now, but his language is quite spicy. He often says he is disabled, not stupid like me. 

Very spicy eleven-year-old. 

I was being called into my boss's to have a talk. It was rare that he wanted to have a one on one conversation with me, but anytime we did it was usually for him to give me small praises. 

-

Tears were running down my face.

This can't be right. We had been fine for months.

The doctors said he was getting better, and that made everybody better. We have been constantly going out, making up for the time we lost. 

He was always the light in this world of darkness. He was only eleven, but he saw the world in a way that no one else could. He was my inspiration. He was the reason I stayed on this island for so long. He was my baby brother.

Not was. Is.

He will always be my baby brother.

They were wrong.

They had to be wrong. I talked to him right before I went to work at the diner, the second job I have been working for the past two weeks.

This couldn't be right. He was so happy this morning. He even told me he knew today's Jello flavor, and he didn't tell me, he wanted it to be a surprise for everyone else.