one

I didn't expect my life to change so quickly

I didn't expect my life to change so quickly. I guess, when I decided to run away, I went as fast as I could. It was exciting and nerve-wracking all at the same time.

The coffee shop was decorated with postcards and monuments of the world. An Eiffel Tower replica was placed in the middle of the room with advertisement boards hung on the back. The shop had yet to have anybody in it today, even I was on the outside of the closed shop.

It was too dang cold for this. I hugged myself as close as I could to the window of the shop, waiting for somebody with a key to show up.

Even at this time of the morning, almost 4 AM, people were walking up and down the sidewalk looking for their destination. Not one person even glanced my way, though it made me feel irrelevant, it was better than being stared at like the prize cow at the Rodeo.

Being lost in my thoughts, I just noticed the man who had opened the door to the coffee shop. "You Benjamin?" I gave a short nod of affirmation, "Get in 'ere, already," the man said in a gruff tone. I just quickly walked into the warm café.

The man shut the glass door and went straight to the back counter with his back towards me, "Okay, so, I need you to get two of the ten-pound bags of coffee beans from the upstairs storage and an unopened jar of caramel syrup." He still didn't turn around and kept doing his work.

I had already been given a tour around the place yesterday given by a girl that was around my age. It was quick and short, just how she seemed. The girl, whose dang name I can't remember, told me she wouldn't be at work on a regular schedule due to her various college classes that had untimely courses.

I wouldn't really know about the real-life college experience, like most people my age do. I took college courses online at the University of Phoenix. I got a Bachelor's degree in Business and Management. I got my credits as quickly as possible. I worked day and night completing college courses. I did not have a job back home, so my entire life revolved around getting this one thing done right.

I tried to get all of the things that the man, my boss, asked for all at once, but after a few attempts of trying to stack everything, I gave up. I carried one bag at a time and saved the caramel for last.

When I got back to the front of the café with the caramel, there were suddenly two other employees going about doing their work before the coffee shop opened.

I didn't know what I should do. I wanted to speak up, but I didn't want to look like I was stupid for not knowing how to do my job. I waited for a few minutes watching the three do their work, before I gave up and started to walk towards them.

All the workers looked up at me at the same time. Everybody was in the same attire, black pants with a dark purple shirt that had a little coffee mug logo on their heart.

I remembered the man from earlier, as I recognized his black jacket, he was the only one in something other than the uniform, excluding me because I didn't have one yet. The rebellious-looking man was probably in his mid-twenties and he wasn't that bad looking, with hair down to his shoulder, fringing across his dark eyes. He was quite handsome really with a rugged bad boy look.