four

.

"Hey, Benjamin, you should stop staring at them before they notice." I felt a tapping on my shoulder, as I looked over the top of the pastry display. I did not want to look away from the booth occupied by the golden-eyed man. He said thank you. I ignored Robert and continued my gazing, not staring

Did I put too much thought into such a simple phrase? 

Of course, I did. I'm obviously being a little obsessive, but who says wait to thank a barista? And his eyes meeting mine was something out of a Disney movie. I did not know how easy it was to get caught in the niceties of this world. My stomach was warm with anticipation and my mind soared knowing there was a person willing to be nice. Were there more? I must work on the wrong side of town, or maybe it is my face that keeps people from being nice? 

I felt another tap on my shoulder. 

"What?" I turned my attention from Levi to see Robert holding a coffee and a knowing look on his face.

"You've been staring at those two men off and on for almost twenty minutes, now." His recently waxed eyebrows were raised with amusement. 

"Oh, yeah, I was just noticing that one of their coffees is empty, and if I should get another one for them," which was not exactly a lie, I really did notice that. 

I also noticed how Mr. Levi seemed stressed with his work, but Mr. Abel would nudge and prod an annoyed look out of him just to see a reaction. Mr. Abel would return his attention to his own laptop until he seemed fed up with whatever he was doing and bugged Mr. Levi again. This cycle had happened twice, as far as I could see between my coffee making and serving. 

"Yes, which is why he ordered a second cup," he said handing me the red mug of hot coffee. I smiled and took the mug from him.

"Oh yeah! Right on that." I made my way from behind the pastry display and to the counter opening. I weaved through the tables to get to the other side of the shop. I got to their table and was expecting a glance from either one of them, but they seemed very engrossed with their work. Deciding not to bother them too much, I went to place the coffee in front of Mr. Porter. 

Then my hand loosened its grip on the very hot coffee and it dropped onto the table with the entire bottom of the red cup shattering across the table, and the brown liquid instantly making contact with Mr. Levi's laptop. Mr. Abel seemed smart enough to move his things immediately and scooted out of the booth faster than I could even react to the situation. 

"Oh no! Oh no! I'm so sorry. Oh dear! Let me get a napkin? Yeah, a napkin. one second," I didn't look up to meet Mr. Levi's eyes once. 

I swerved my body around people in the cafe and quickly got two rags with little ornaments on them from behind the cash register. I do not even know if they were already dirty, but I done did take them.