34.

The car rumbled as you passed through a tunnel, Akari Nitta (a member of faculty who was accompanying you on your next mission) was reciting a list of names of recently deceased people that all seemed to have one thing in common as they all died in similar circumstances, they were all stabbed to death by a cursed spirit at the entrances of their apartments. 

"All of them had also filed the same complaint with the property managers several weeks before dying." She spoke in a stern voice, you and Yuji were both staring at the tablet that was in Megumi's hands- which had the full report on everything. "They claimed their auto-locking doors were left wide open. None of the other residents have any idea of what could have happened." 

Nobara, who was sitting in the front seat turned around and looked at me with concerned eyes, we were all very serious about the mission that we were presented in so there was no mucking about. "None of the dates or locations match though." You replied, glancing quickly in Yuji's direction to see him with a thoughtful expression painted on his facial features. 
"Could the same cursed spirit have killed them all?" Megumi asked, looking at Nitta, who was focused on the road. 
"Hey could the cursed spirit be responsible for the doors? Do sensors like those pick up on cursed spirits? They don't show up on the cameras and stuff, right?" Yuji fired question after question with a confused tone to his voice. 

"Apparently, the cursed spirit made the door operators go crazy, not the sensors."
"Oh...Operators?" 
"And as for whether or not the same cursed spirit was behind this...Well, we couldn't be certain from just the residuals. After all, a lot of time had already passed. So we tried to track down any connections between the three, we found that all three attended the same middle school for two years." Nitta explained. The fact that they attended all the same high school made you think, they must've done something to receive that curse during their periods at high school, but what? 
"Meaning all three received the same curse, and it activated after time had passed?" Nobara asked curiously, with a hand raised and placed under her chin thoughtfully. Yuji let out a little enthusiastic 'ooooo' and you nodded in agreement with her. 
"Precisely, that's highly likely, so we're going to that high school now to question someone the three victims all knew and I want you four to see what you can find as sorcerers." 
"Way to go Kugisaki!" Yuji blurted out with a sincere impressed look on his face. Nobara took a moment to process what she'd just heard before scoffing and flicking her hair out of her face. You watched as Megumi scrunched up his face from beside you and a chuckle escaped your lips. 
"Heh, what'd you expect?" She replied all proud of herself, Megumi sighed and then turned his attention back towards the tablet he had in his hands. 

The car eventually pulled into a parking spot outside a house that had a spiritual lantern hung outside and a couple of people dressed all in black chatting sadly. Yuji glanced your way and gave you a soft smile, you rolled you eyes jokily and took out your phone, typing up a text for your puppy-like boyfriend who was staring down at his phone as well, occasionally glancing in your direction in an attempt to see what you could be writing to him. You sent the message and watched Itadori's phone light up. 

He read the message you had sent and then tried to make eye contact with you, eventually you locked eyes and he smirked, Megumi noticed that something was in the air and turned to look down at Yuji's phone but the pink haired boy retracted it and put it in his pocket before anyone could see. You let out a breathy laugh before unbuckling your seatbelt and getting out of the black car to join your fellow peers. 

"Is that the home of the acquaintance?" Nobara asked curiously, staring at the scene in front of her with little to no emotion on her face. Nitta takes a moment to process what she's looking at and without even turning her head she replies, 
"Yes, it is..." We all turn to look at each other and then respectfully start walking back to the car, you being the first one to get back inside and consequently taking the middle seat, to Megumi's joy. He had partially sat in between you and Itadori to avoid the tension that would accumulate by you both sitting next to one another. Nitta though goes up to talk to one of the people in black outside the house and we watch as the person she was talking to started to get emotional, after about ten minutes though she returns, starts up the car again and drives off without saying another word.

"Well this sucks...He died the same way the other three did." She sighs eventually, keeping her hands steady on the steering wheel. She went on to explain the circumstances of his death and how they had found him, you awkwardly twiddled your fingers but taking in the information she was telling you all meanwhile Yuji leant his head comfortably on your shoulder. You felt his little breaths hit your collar bone, sending goosebumps up your arms. 

Urami east middle school, you read on one of the pillars on the school gates and the car began slowing down. You turned and looked at Megumi whose eyes were wide open. You knew that this was you and Megumi's old middle school- where you had grown up together and spent most of your time defending each other in. 

You all began walking towards the building and Nobara turns to you with wide eyes after spotting a couple of delinquents that were smoking together in one of the arches. She then turns her fascinated smile into a cheeky grin and makes her way towards them, very loudly saying "Hey, there are some obvious punks here!" She gets near the arch where they were crouching and smoking and turns back around to face us with a big cheeky smile, "Let's beat em' up and set em' straight!" 

Megumi looks down at you and you quickly looked back up at him and you saw that protective glint in his eye that he used to have when you both went here, it meant he was somehow on guard and ready to protect you if anything were to happen. Yuji on the other hand had a very relaxed and curious expression, whilst you were all walking together he had taken your hand in his, his fingers intertwined with yours. His head tilts slightly when he sees the two delinquents get all feisty after Nobara's little comment about beating them up. 

The two come closer to you all but then they noticed you and Megumi for some reason began bowing. "I-It's good to see you!" They both say simultaneously, still bent over in a very low bow. Yuji and Nobara seemed to think that the two were actually bowing to them and their ego's were suddenly boosted to 100, but their little ego boost was suddenly cut short when the two boys in front of you added, "We haven't seen you two since graduation, Fushiguro and Masamichi!" Nobara and Yuji suddenly freeze and slowly turn towards you and Megumi who were both awkwardly scratching the back of your necks and turning your head slightly so you weren't making eye contact. 

"We both...went here...for middle school..." You manage to say uncomfortably. 

----------

A/n- I'm back >:) sorry this isn't as long as I promised but I had a massive writers block after finishing my exams (which went very well thank you for everyone's messages ily) but I will be posting as much as possible from now on. I decided to split this little mission of theirs into different chapters instead of one long chapter to also make for easier reading <3