37.

"Is your sister Tsumiki okay?" You hear Yuji say from behind you as you put your hand reassuringly on Megumi's shoulder, hoping to provide some comfort. Everyone was concerned for him after seeing him freeze up that way, all three of you just wanted to be there for him- you especially, you couldn't have a vent moment where he lay his head on your lap right now and you suspected he didn't even want to. Tsumiki always struck a cord deep within his heart and when he did speak about her to you on that rare occasion, he would never say much other than the fact she still hadn't woken up.
"She's fine." He lied, not moving your hand but instead leaning his head slightly on it to show he appreciated the gesture. You sighed and ruffled his hair, "More importantly, this mission's danger level just shot up." Megumi continued, he knew what this meant for all of you but he knew none of you were going to back down which meant he was going to have to find an excuse to get you all to leave, he just wanted to make sure that nothing was going to happen to any of you, "Other sorcerers will be taking over this case, you three can go home now." He said confidently after a moment of comfortable silence. Your eyes widened and your breath hitched in your throat, you couldn't believe he was saying this.

You quickly removed your hand from his shoulder and he lifted his head up accordingly, without falter he began walking back to the car with all of you tailing him in complete confusion. Yuji couldn't understand why he was making you three go home and he wasn't joining you, if it was that dangerous surely he shouldn't be going either? Nitta, on the other hand, was waiting patiently in the drivers seat, her head bent down to see what you were all bickering about and if she had to intervene like before.

"Huh? Why?" Yuji finally asked in a gruff and irked voice, reluctant to leave just like you and Nobara, "Us three? What about you?" Megumi began trying to shove him into the car where Kugisaki (who had gone round the car to get it) and Nitta were already sat waiting to leave. He wasn't going to give up that easily though and you were with him on that as well- you weren't just going to leave him out here on his own, knowing what he was like as well with his unfair and selfish sense of obligation to keep you all safe.
"I'll go back after I say a proper farewell to Mr Takeda, now both of you go." He said sternly, looking at you and then darting his gaze away as to not making eye contact with you, you knew he was lying to you instantly when he did that.
"I thought you owed me." You replied- letting the hurt seep into your voice, crossing your arms over your chest and letting the disconcerted look burn into the side of Megumi's turned head.
"I do." He retaliated with agitation.
"Then come back with us." You were stern but didn't want to turn this into an argument. He shook his head and you huffed in disappointment because you didn't know what else to say that would perhaps convince him to reconsider, "You can lie to Yuji all you want and say that you're going to say goodbye to Mr Takeda, but not to me." Without saying another word you got into the car after Yuji and slammed the door shut, turning your head towards Yuji in dismay because you didn't even want to look at Fushiguro.

Megumi waited for a moment to see that there was a fair distance between him and the car, his hands shoved deep into his pocket to hide the fact he was clenching his fists so hard that his fingernails were digging into the padding of his hand. He walked off after as soon as the black car turned the corner, leaving him alone at the curb on the empty street they were on.

"(Y/n)?" Yuji spoke softly, looking into your eyes as he did so. You bit the inside of your cheek to stop any unwanted emotional reactions to surface.
"God he's such an idiot." You whisper quietly, hiding your face in your hands. Yuji glanced in the front seat at Nobara, who was yawning and deeply focused on a game she was playing on her phone just like Megumi had been earlier. When he was sure no one would notice he peeled your hands from your face and cupped it reassuringly in his.
"He'll come back, believe him. And if he isn't back in a few hours we can go out searching for him. You can stay in my room until we hear him come back."
"He's not going to come back though." You say disheartened.
"He is, we're all way too tired from today to even think about fighting- let alone get involved in a mission this serious when we're all yawning." As if on cue Nobara let out the loudest yawn of the evening, smacking her lips a couple of times after as well before you heard the click of her phone turning off and the sound of her getting comfortable in her seat.