Chapter 4 | Lonely

Another day begins. The grayish light trespassing through Phillips' large glass windows. Disturbing him from his only method of escape from this cruel and unapproving world. Dreams. Yet they always seem to have the same sad endings.

He wakes up with a hint of loathing for the new day. The earth's star that everyone adores is just another source of light for him. How could he fully enjoy the beauty of nature or bask in the sunlight when he is trapped? A caged bird begging for a way out.

Phillip slowly sits up out of his bed, in a rather regal posture. Hands placed subtly on his lap, back straight and his chin up with nobility. He examines his plain room, lacking in any warmth or comfort. After being bored out of his wits, he rings a bell alerting the maids of his ended slumber. Not a second goes by before two maids rush to his side.

"Good morning your Highness, how was your slumber?" A maid queried. She looked to be new to this line of work. Young with fair skin, average height and too much excitement in her tone.

"I slept well, thank you." He then directed his attention to the head maid, Miss Anabelle. An elderly woman with a motherly aura radiating from her lovely features. She is the closest mother figure Phillip has. He cherishes her kindness.

"Shall i prepare your breakfast sir? I must add that the eggs are exquisite and the fruits are wonderfully sweet." her tone coated with sugar.

"That sounds lovely."

"I shall prepare the food and deliver it to you then. Excuse us, your Highness."

The two maids proceeded to walk to the exit and bowed down once they approached the doors. The younger maid; seeming as though she didn't want to leave, admired the prince discreetly before following Miss Anabelle. However, it did not go unnoticed by Phillip.

While Phillip waited for his food to appear, he reached to the left side and grabbed a screenplay, The Tempest. He was always cautious when reading books in the romantic or idealistic genres. In fear of his father barging in unannounced, witnessing something that would take away more of his little freedom.

The King always saw these novels and screenplays as delusional, useless, and distracting. It is a half truth since Phillips reads them to distract himself from his intrusive thoughts. But they are far from useless. The soothing words and the "i love you"s give Phillip a sense of hope for his future. However, It is not the love he envies, but the freedom the characters have and the ability to not think ahead of time.

He doesn't feel the need to communicate emotions. He views that as unnecessary and tedious. There was never a need to express one's feelings. So he tends to skim through the overly romantic lines of the stories.

A few silent minutes passed before Miss Anabelle and the new maid entered the chamber again with a silver tray of appetizing food. Phillip hastily folded the corner of the page he was about to begin and slid it back to its designated space. Waiting for his personally prepared breakfast.

"Your Highness, Your food is ready. Please allow me to set it for you." With that, Miss Anabelle hand signalled the other to fold out the small table meant for eating on the bed as Anabelle placed the tray on top.

"Is everything to your liking sir?"

"Yes, however I do have one question."

"Anything your Highness."

"What is the name of the younger maid?" The maid in question whipped her face towards Phillip with surprised and excited eyes.

"My name is Eris. Your Highness." she bowed while attempting to put on a seductive smirk.