Chapter 10 | Intrigue

The clashing of steel swords can be heard from the training grounds. There, a wooden fence in the form of a circle in the middle with two men lunging at each other while spectators watched. Phillip and Hastings were battling it out, neither showing any sign of fatigue as sparks started to fly. A fight of a predator against a predator.

Some guards cheered for their commander while others rooted for the prince. It was obvious some made bets that they weren't planning on losing. In a blink of an eye, Phillip managed to sweep his leg under Ambrose, causing him to lose balance. But it wasn't enough of an advantage as Hastings managed to recover before Phillip could. Holding his sword near the prince's neck as he trapped him against the ground.

"Good match Hastings." Phillip panted out as the bystanders began to hollar.

"Yes it was, maybe I shouldn't go easy on you next time." Ambrose started to lift off of him and offered a helping hand which Phillip accepted.

"Then I won't go easy on you either."

"Oh please, you were panting and stumbling so much I almost saw you as pitiful."

Phillip snorted. "Are you sure that wasn't you, who was nearly defeated?"

"We can go back and forth all day Phillip, let's agree to disagree for now alright? I'm starving."

"Okay, I'm famished as well. What should we eat?"

"Maybe the royal chef could sneak in an extra breakfast for me?"

"I'm sure if you ask politely, he will be happy to do it for you."

Phillip and Hastings headed towards the tall wooden doors, passing the crowds of men who were now reluctantly handing each other the amount of money they betted on while the winning side gleefully counted their earnings.

*****

Ambrose attempted to ask the royal chef for a breakfast plate cordially, and yes, he did succeed in convincing the chef to make extra egg, potatoes and crepes. With the help of his charming good looks or at least that is what he reported to Phillip.

The two men sat at the large dining table since the king and queen are off to the neighboring kingdom to discuss the new trade laws. Or at least that is what they had told him. Phillip somewhat expected to be forced to go on the journey since he was going to do those sort of meetings in the near future but he didn't complain with the short lived freedom.

"Oh my God! This is to-die for! Phillip, you eat this daily?"

"Yes I do."

Hastings shoved a slice of the crepe into his mouth. "Man, let's pray that I reincarnate into a prince in my next life."

"The first lesson to becoming a prince." the prince handed him a napkin, "Don't eat with your mouthful."

They sat in a calming silence, mainly stuffing their faces with the enticing cuisine. Gradually the platters of cooked eggs, potatoes, crepes, fruits and vegetables were being cleaned out, leaving crumbs as the only evidence.

With the food still being digested in their stomachs, the two men decided it would be best to rest for a while until they regained their energy.

Ambrose returned to the guard's sleeping quarters while Phillip walked to the library. He wanted to find something Lorelei might enjoy reading. He didn't have any idea of what her book inventory looked like so the only clue he could go with was her opinion on Juliet and her Romeo's love story.

From her analysis of the screenplay, he said it would be safe to assume she wouldn't appreciate tales of lovers at first sight. Or any other type of superficial love for that matter. However, he also found clues from her definition of true love or at least her ideal type of relationship. She appreciated the small details, the events that most cliche books tend to skip over. She was simple yet attentive and thoughtful.