Chapter 12 | Memories

"Lorelei..."

She looked around suspiciously as she kept her hold on the box tight. Besides all the dirt and webs that covered it, it was made with care.

"Is it a safe idea to bring it home with me? It does have my name inscribed but it could also be a mere coincidence." she thought about the different scenarios that played in her head.

After some time, she gave in to her curiosity and brought it home with her. Lori took her time when getting back to her home. Since she was slightly injured, she didn't want to create any more pain. It was manageable but Lorelei wasn't in any rush since she knew that she was close by. Though the stars and the moon twinkled brightly in the night sky, the darkness enveloping the forest ground was still intimidating.

Letting out an exasperated sigh, she finally made it to her little cottage. The sheeps and chickens are most likely asleep by this time so she quietly steps in. As the door closed behind her, Lorelei placed down the chest on the dining table and hastily started the fireplace. It was far too cold inside to think of doing anything else.

Once the fire heated up most of the rooms, she hung up her coat near the door and brushed off the dirt and snow that stained the fabric.

"I guess I should clean you up tomorrow morning." Lori said as she tried to beat off the excess dust.

"For now let's see what's in the box."

The fact that there was a lock slipped from her mind for a split second as she first tried to simply lift open the lid but then immediately was reminded that it was of course locked.

"How am I to open it if there was no key?"

With her determination and curiosity working side and side, she became restless. Lorelei started to look around her house to see if, with some miracle, the key would be hidden there.

She started with the living quarters, nothing. Then the kitchen, nothing. To the bathing room, again nothing.

"Would it really be in my bedroom?" Lorelei questioned with doubt.

It wouldn't hurt to look though, She pulled out her drawers, scanvanged through her closet, and looked in every container stored under her bed. Nothing.

She was about to lose hope on whatever was inside the locked chest but she felt something in her gut. Her focus shifted to the painting of her mother. It was always a mesmerizing sight. Lorelei mirrored her mother apart from her brown hair her father shared.

"Sometimes, secrets are kept in the most unusual places."

She steadily lifted the painting off the wall hook that held it up and gingerly placed it on the top of her made bed. Slowly flipping the canvas over, there was a small hole in the middle. It was loose and lifted easily.

After close inspection, a necklace was hidden in the small hole. Attached to it was a key that glistened a shining silver and had an abundance of intricate curls and spirals on the decorative handle.

"Perfect" With that being said, she raced to the dining table. Key necklace in hand.

"Oh I do hope this key fits."

Cautiously, she slid the key into the keyhole and twisted the handle. Lorelei let out a faint gasp as a click was heard from the box.

It was open.

The exterior was obviously aged and mildly damaged due to the years in the forest but, the interior told a completely different story. The walls were insulated with red velvet fabric and seemed brand new and expensive. The box contained a small journal, a black velvet box and something wrapped in white paper.