Chapter 9 | Steps

After a few hours of shared laughter, the light in the sky said its last goodbyes and revealed the dotted darkness. A full moon showed tonight. The group said their goodbyes to Miss Aveen and stepped out into the frigid temperature; their breaths now visible to the naked eye and noses turning red.

"Miss Lorelei, please allow us to walk you home." Jay (Phillip) was the first to speak.

"Yea, It's scarier to walk alone in the dark. Let us take you home so we know you're safe." Hastings added.

Lorelei took a moment to think about their offer. She was a bit scared to walk alone but she didn't feel comfortable revealing to these men where she lived. She barely met Jay a few weeks ago and met Hastings just a few hours ago. She couldn't trust them no matter how sweet and kind they treat her.

"Ummm...Could you walk me to the clearing we met at?"

This caught Jay and Ambrose by surprise. The forest during the night is probably more creepy than the town's dimly lit streets. But Jay didn't want her to be uncomfortable with it and as long as they walked her most of the way, he would be able to sleep at night. Glancing at Hastings, they gave each other a subtle look and agreed non-verbally.

"Sure that's fine Lori, let's go!"

Jay was caught off guard by the sudden nickname Hastings gave Lorelei. Considering they were only introduced to each other just this afternoon. But, with the bubbly nature his friend is known for, it isn't the most shocking thing in the world. What shocked him the most was that Lorelei did not correct him. A measly string of envy arose but what quickly stomped on.

"Lori? I was not aware that we already created nicknames."

"Sorry you missed out buddy." Ambrose stuck his tongue out, taunting him.

"Don't be mean Rosey," She looked up at him. Jay now just noticed the drastic height difference between the two. "He was talking to Miss Aveen when we created nicknames."

"Rosey?" Jay made no attempt in hiding his amusement.

"Yup." he popped the P, "That's me. She's Lori and you're Jay since it's already so short."

Even though it would have been nice to have a nickname, it would be hard to make one out of his pseudonym so he accepted it.

"Alright, let's head to the forest entrance."

"Got it!" Hastings led the group leaving Jay and Lorelei space to talk one-on-one. Lorelei stood there as Jay held his arm out for her to take, Waiting for her acceptance.

"Shall we? Miss...Lori?" his mouth was tugged into a slight smile as she led out a faint giggle and accepted his invitation.

"So...How did you meet Rosey? I would have never expected you to be friends with someone as sociable as he is."

"I'm not sure that I understand."

Lori looked up to him, he again noticed the difference between their heights. She was at the same level as his shoulder and Jay found it somewhat charming but decided against saying anything.

"When I first met you, you were calm, poised and somewhat distant. However Rosey is the opposite. He is hyper and very social. Both are great traits to have but are not at all alike. So your friendship isn't the most common I would assume."

"You are right, we are nothing alike and have little to nothing in common. But as the saying goes, Opposites attract. I guess that's how I would describe our relationship. We are polar opposites so we balance each other out. I am tasked with keeping him from bouncing off the walls and he brings life into my dull days."