Chapter 14 | Epiphany

The day is quiet. Only the crackling of the lit fireplace is heard inside Lorelei's residence as she sits by the fire with a tea in her hand. The smoke from the drink surrounding the room with the smell of chamomile. It was going to be a very slow day.

She opened up the book Jay had gifted her. Jane Eyre. Her heart soured to the stars whenever she saw the novel. It was a new but welcomed feeling.

Maybe the book would be able to place a definition on this feeling of vulnerability and amazement she has felt for some time towards Jay. At first she assumed because she was never used to having friends other than Miss Aveen but if that were so then why did she not experience that with Rosey?

Perhaps she could inquire Miss Aveen about this predicament. She may have a hint as to what this feeling is or what it represents.

Why must emotions be ever so confusing...

After a few more silent moments alone to her and her thoughts, she stood up and went to her wardrobe.

She needed something, anything to distract her from the excessive thoughts she had of Jay.

Lorelei wasn't looking for anything specific, though she just wanted to make sure her parent's belongings were secure.

She pushed hung up dresses and blouses out of the way before pulling the box out of the closet.

Lifting the box onto her cushioned mattress, she unlocked the latch and gently opened it. Everything was as she left it. The dress and necklace were meticulously placed and the journal laid beside it.

But with a closer observation, the roof of the box looked like it was coming apart. Lorelei placed all the contents on her desk to see what was wrong with the interior.

"Hmmmm. It seems like something is in between the interior and exterior walls."

"Let me just..."

She grabbed the edge and slowly pulled the backing to see what was blocking the adhesive.

Then, out came a letter. Signed by her mother.

Delilah Everly...

As Lorelei read the handwritten letter, she could not believe what was said.

"Oh my lord..."

*****

"Hastings, Try to keep up, good friend."

"Oh I apologize. For I did not know we were to learn a new technique of waltz. I am meant for the battlefield, not in a soiree filled with giggling women and tactless mothers. Please Forgive me Your royal highness" He mocked a genuflect.

Phillip snorted at Hastings insincerity and played along.

"Sir Hastings, you are forgiven, however, if you are to complain once more. I may not be so merciful."

"By God Phillip, You can be intimidating if need be. Never expected that from a weasel such as yourself."

"Excuse me-"

A knock on the ballroom door interrupted their small banter.

"Who is it?" Phillip questioned.

"I am Sir Nicholas and I have come with a word from the queen."

Hastings and Phillip looked at each other with suspicion. Her majesty rarely asked her advisor to personally give out messages.

"Come in."