Chapter 25 | Candles

The hallways throughout the palace were silent, no creak or faint chatter echoed through the space. One could think it was abandoned even as the windows seemed invisible and the floors shined.

The maids and butlers seemed occupied at the royal garden or more specifically, the green house. Scrambling around outside as Cecily holds a leather bound journal in her hand with a pencil. Directing the help on what to get and where to place it.

"Yes there- A little bit to the left. No, that's too much. There. Perfect." She called out to two butlers who were placing down the oval shaped table. She repeatedly glanced at her to-do list every once and a while.

Cecily wanted this to go perfectly for Phillip and Lorelei. However, she still needs to come up with an excuse to invite Lori to the palace without raising any suspicion.

She continued to instruct the maids on where to place the dinnerware and the lavender vase in the center of the table, giving a beautiful aroma to the naturalesque glass garden.

On the side was Luca, standing still while he watched her interactions and the commotion that was occurring. Hastings was sitting on a chair next to Luca with a drink in his hand as if he was envisioning himself alone on a picturesque beach. Then Phillip, who looked so stressed that he should take a vacation to that exact beach.

Hastings had his eyes closed and voiced, "Phillip come, sit with me."

Phillip continued to pace back and forth while his arms were tightly crossed together from his surging stress. The complete opposite of Hastings. Although he wouldn't admit it, Ambrose's heart was palpitating just as fast as the prince's.

"And do nothing? This is my proposal but Cecily insists that she lays out the scene as she referred to it. There must be something for me to do."

Luca spoke, "That 'something' you should be doing is preparing yourself for tonight. How you propose is just as important as where you propose. She must believe that you will devote yourself to her for eternity. Even if society forces the notion of supposed 'superiority' amongst men, it is really the women who could make us kneel before them. Showcase how much love you possess for her."

Hastings and Phillip stare at Luca with widened eyes. They never considered Sir Luca to be a hopeless romantic of the sorts. According to Cecily, romantic men from her kingdom are a rarity, was she aware of Luca's amorous side? When speaking of the rarity, was she referencing him? As these questions festered in their minds, they could not believe that they still had little to no clue of their feelings of adoration for each other. If only he could utilize his advice for himself.

"Luca! Could you assist me!" Cecily called, interrupting the men's stupor and allowing them to correct their dropped jaws.

He called back a yes and faced back to the two friends, "Remember, prepare. You have an important job. Do not screw it up for your sake for my sake. I will become a victim of Cecily's complaining." he gave Phillip a pat for reassurance.

Without waiting for a reply, he walked to Cecily and awaited his instructions. All with a slight woeful smirk on his face.

*****

"Okay, I shall go and invite Lorelei for a private dinner at the palace with the guise of gossip. While I get her, you boys shall get in your places. Hastings, you are in charge of the music. Make sure you are out of sight if you catch a wisp of your hair in sight, so help me I shall strangle you."

She then pointed towards the prince, "Phillip, stand by the chair where she will be seated and once she arrives try your best to be presentable and pull the chair out for her. Luca...Just be your handsome self."