Chapter 20 | Anticipation

It was the night of the ball. Although it was still winter, the temperature had started to rise and the snow covered floors could now be seen. The plentiful stars in the night sky illuminated the blue tinted forest, with not a cloud in sight.

Our little Lori was in a rush gathering all her things needed for the ball, into a worn out luggage. Her dress shimmered as if it was formed from crystallized emeralds. Her necklace was no different except for the added iridescent diamonds bordering each gem.

With her gown and jewelry stored securely into the carrier, Lorelei locked her front door and made her way towards the now bustling town filled with damsels who were eager to attract any suitors at this party.

She fixed her hood over her head once the entrance was in sight and headed towards the bookstore, her strides resembled those who were on a timed mission.

Before Lorelei could push open the door, Miss Aveen quickly swung open the door and abruptly pulled Lorelei inside in an almost comical manner.

Miss Aveen greeted her with a tight squeeze with an enthusiastic sway added to the mix.

"Is my beautiful girl ready to get dolled up?"

Once the bookkeeper allowed Lorelei to breathe once more, she placed the luggage on top of the front counter and replied.

"Yes? Maybe? I'm so nervous that I'm worried my heart may implode?"

"Yes, yes. Do not fret my dear, by the time we get you ready, everyone will be too scared to approach you."

Lorelei's confusion grew tenfold, a moment ago Miss Aveen promised to doll her up. Even though Lori had no past experience in that area but she was not aware it was to make one look scary or frightening.

"How are you to make me look very frightening? Won't all the other ladies aim for a more pleasing look?" Lori tilted her head in confusion, her brow was quirked.

Aveen simply laughed at her naivety. "Darling, the only one you will frighten is Aphrodite herself."

*****

"How do I look so far?"

Hastings lifts his head from the soft pillow on the bed and admires the seamstress' work.

"You look good, the color suits you well brother."

"It's black."

"Like I said, it's perfect. Now you can hide in the corner and no one will find you."

Ambrose sits up from the bed and heads towards the prince wearing his own suit. The only difference is that he has his sheathed sword at his side.

He bowed towards Phillip and asked, "Your beauty has left me speechless, may I have this dance?"

"Not in a million years." Phillip playfully smacked the back of his head and let out a genuine laugh. He hasn't had those in a while.

"My pride is wounded. How will I ever recover from this?"

"There will be plenty of ladies to choose from this evening..." Phillip tried to reason.

"Hmmm...tempting but I would much rather have a man to sweep me off my feet. But if a woman decides to, I won't complain."

The prince wrapped his arm around Hastings and held him tight. "No matter who you choose, I'll support you."

Ambrose knew that he would always support him, no matter who he was with or what he did, he knew that they were meant to stay together until the very end. Yet, hearing this statement in its truest form spoken out loud was still very new to him.