Chapter 21 | Masquerade

The palace on that fateful night was full of life. The light from the ballroom outshined every star in the infinite sky. Inside, each crystal on the grand chandelier resembled the reflection of the sea when the sun sets. Each rose had bloomed brilliantly and the warm gold and red hues contrasted the silent outside world.

Carriages by the hundreds were present at the entrance of the venue. Ladies dressed in all vibrants shades of any color one could possibly imagine, couples merely enjoying each other's company through waltzes and mere conversations of greetings and business, and men dressed handsomely while preferring to hover in a corner with others of his kind and scouting for any potential suitors that may share a glance. Or simply participating in their own version of gossip.

The masquerade was a sight to behold, a night filled with elegant live music and masked guests with unknown identities.

When Lorelei arrived, everyone was already indulged in the luxuries the ball had to offer. The only people outside were the guards in extravagant clothes and a few debutants taking in the fresh air together.

Before entering the room, she gently secured her royal green mask Miss Aveen had given her before her departure. Focusing on easing her anxiety and controlling her breathing. Many doubts circled her mind all at once, would she really be okay? What if she makes a mistake? Was it too late to turn around and escape this socialite hell?

However, Lorelei promised Aveen and she would not dare risk disappointing her. That thought was unbearable for her to simply imagine. She gathered all of her courage she could accumulate at that moment, lifted the front of her dress and walked up the stairs that led to the entrance.

As she stood in front of the doors, taking in the beautiful lights and decor, the two guards were put into a stupor by her masked beauty. One may compare her to Aphrodite herself, or perhaps even; Psyche.

"Good evening, May I enter the Masquerade?" Lorelei asked, pulling them out of their trance.

"Uh.. umm.. Yes of course, Did you receive an invitation?"

"I did." She hands the female guard the rolled up letter, allowing her to examine its authenticity.

After what seemed like a second, the guard rolled up the invitation and allowed entry. Though, Lorelei was hesitant. Fear was rising through her veins and her limbs remained paralyzed. The male guard took notice of this and felt the need to assist.

"Madam, are you unwell?"

"Oh, No. I am simply new to this. Please forgive my hesitation."

He was not expecting her to be afraid of a masquerade, she was dressed as though she may be the one who had planned the event herself.

"If it is not too much of a burden for you My Lady, I had snuck with me a couple of macarons from the cooking staff before the ball. Perhaps a bit of sugar may calm your nerves just a bit?"

He held out a handkerchief and revealed red velvet macarons to Lorelei, she was shocked by this kind gesture from this mere stranger.

"Only if it is no trouble."

"None at all."

"Well if you insist," she slowly picked up a macaron from his covered palm and bit into it, it was as if heaven had a taste. "Thank you so much, kind sir. This has helped immensely." she smiled.

"It is my pleasure madam, please enjoy the night."

She spoke her thank yous and goodbyes to the guards and strolled through the hall with a half eaten macaron in her hand. The hallway was decorated by rows of paintings and statues. Even though Lorelei had not yet fully entered the ball, she was already catching the eye of many guests as she passed by.